A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

nIzo

Is It Illegal ?

by: nIzo on

Is it illegal to stick or screw something on the license plate number where it won't hide any numbers or won't effect anything but probably hiding the crown in the middle of the plate?

Thx :)

nIzo

Simon Borys wrote:
nIzo wrote:Is it illegal to stick or screw something on the license plate number where it won't hide any numbers or won't effect anything but probably hiding the crown in the middle of the plate?

Thx :)

So just for the purpose of attaching it? Yes, that's fine.

its going to be a metal eagle that's screwed into the plate

are you saying its FINE i can do it or its A FINE ? :) sorry hehe :P

Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

by: Simon Borys on

I was saying that is is fine, not that it is a fine, however what you're describing now is a little more than just a screw.

Basically it comes down to your articulation and the officer's discretion if there is a potential issue. The relevant section of the HTA is 13(2):

Number plate to be kept clean

(2) Every number plate shall be kept free from dirt and obstruction and shall be affixed so that the entire number plate, including the numbers, is plainly visible at all times, and the view of the number plate shall not be obscured or obstructed by spare tires, bumper bars, any part of the vehicle, any attachments to the vehicle or the load carried. 1994, c. 27, s. 138 (7).

So based on the way it looks when it's on there, can you articulate that it meets the requirements set out in this section and do you think an officer might have a different perspective? If they would, do you think you can convince a JP? If you think about this and don't think it's a problem, go for it and be prepared to deal with the possible outcomes.

NOTHING I SAY ON HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE.
nIzo

Simon Borys wrote:

(2) Every number plate shall be kept free from dirt and obstruction and shall be affixed so that the entire number plate, including the numbers, is plainly visible at all times, and the view of the number plate shall not be obscured or obstructed by spare tires, bumper bars, any part of the vehicle, any attachments to the vehicle or the load carried. 1994, c. 27, s. 138 (7).

It not going hide anything but the crown and hopefully won't touch the numbers at all..

Now this is how it might look like..

I Photoshoped it on some random plate I found on google...

nIzo

Simon Borys wrote:As I said, it all comes down to discretion and articulation :)

Sounds good man thx alot :)

FyreStorm

Posting Awards

by: FyreStorm on

I would argue the crown is part of the identifiers of the plate...the eagle is drastically different, while it might not confuse an officer, the officer may be able to articulate that it might confuse a civilian and thus obstructing the IDENTITY (territory of issue) of the plate.

Function over style, my friend...

Land the eagle...why risk $110.

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

Conversely, this could also go under the category of "deface plate" under 12 (1) (a) of the Highway Traffic Act. :shock:

Personally... I'd attach the eagle to some other part of the car, just to be on the safe side. But that's just me.

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
Post a Reply