A speeding traffic ticket is subject to section 128 of the Highway Traffic Act.
Coops

First Ticket Ever. Is It Worth Fighting?

by: Coops on

I'm 35 and this is my first ticket of any kind ever. I was taking a country rd that I've never been on before because a bridge was up near niagara falls/ welland, and it was an 80km/h rd. I didn't notice that it turned into a 50 km/h after I passed over some train tracks. They were set up taking radar in some bushes pulling lots of people over. I was lucky because I was apparently going 102km/h which I can't believe because my window was down and I was in 4th gear and I was sin no hurry. I was honestly shocked. I figured I was going maybe 80 or a bit more. So he warned me that he could have impounded my car or given me a minimum $1000 ticket. He was a nice guy and seemed like he felt bad for me. So he ended up lowering it to a 29km/h over and $138/ 3 points.

So what do you guys think? I've never been through this and the only thing that bothers me is losing the 3 points. Is it worth taking to court? The police said he wished he could lower it but he would be questioned by his supervisors.

Anyway, thanks for any recommendations.

Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

by: Simon Borys on

He probably could have lowered it more, but I don't think he wanted to. The bosses usually don't question you on tickets because they don't know how fast the person was actually going or how far it was reduced. I think he gave you what he thought you deserved.

The points are non negotiable, they go with the speed, so the only thing you can do to get rid of them is beat the ticket or get it lowered further, which I don't think is going to happen given the fact that it has already been reduced.

I would also point out that if you fight the ticket it can be amended up to the original speed at your trial. However, if you feel that the ticket was unjustly issued and you would like to fight it, there are a bunch of good articles on ticketcombat.com and ontarioticket.com to get you started on how.

The only other thing I would suggest is that you might want to file for disclosure so that you can know what evidence the crown is prepared to bring against you. This may help you determine what you want to do with your ticket.

NOTHING I SAY ON HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE.
Post a Reply