A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

jonhimself

Jeep Wrangler With Windshield Down?

by: jonhimself on

I was just wondering if this was legal to do on public roads? (ie not off-roading, just regular driving). I can't find anything looking in the HTA that says specific. There is mention of needing to have wipers on your windshield, there is also a mention of needing to have a mirror on your car - so if I have the doors off (thus side mirrors are gone) and then fold down the windshield (getting rid of the rear-view mirror), I would then not have a mirror at all.

I called the local police department and they said that it was most likely illegal but could not point to a specific part (didn't want to look) of the HTA.

ticketcombat

by: ticketcombat on

Sections 66(1) and 67 deal with mirrors. You could mount the rear view mirror to the frame and the side mirrors to the body just front of the door hinge

You could argue that the purpose of having wipers is to clean moisture from a windshield but if there is no windshield, there is no moisture.

Fight Your Ticket!
jonhimself

by: jonhimself on

Thanks for the reply! The mirror part was the only thing that I could come up with that would possibly get me a ticket.

The only thing that worries me is common sense in terms of it doesn't seem like it should be allowed. If a rock hits me or something hits me I may get hurt, that is one thing, but I doubt that would be a reason for a ticket. However, if that same rock hits me and knocks me out, I could easily harm any one else around me if my car was out of control.

When I called the police station all he said was that he wasn't sure what section in the HTA he would cite but that if he saw me driving around like that he would find something.

ticketcombat

If you were on a motorcycle and got hit by a rock it would be the same thing, although it would cause less damage.

When you have a vehicle certified, the mechanic inspects it to see if it's road worthy. You may want to go that route (and take pictures at the garage in case you get a ticket). The mechanic is certifying that you are OK to drive on the road which means he would check for the minimum safety requirements like brake lights and mirrors, etc.

You can also ask MTO to inspect your vehicle at one of their inspection stations. They would be a better expert than any cop.

Fight Your Ticket!
hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

ticketcombat wrote:You can also ask MTO to inspect your vehicle at one of their inspection stations. They would be a better expert than any cop.

Watch those "p's and q's".....some of us are trained identical to MTO officers.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
ticketcombat

hwybear wrote:Watch those "p's and q's".....some of us are trained identical to MTO officers.
Let me clarify. It wasn't meant as a slight against police officers. Here is an individual who wants to drive a jeep on-road and is taking more than reasonable care to determine if it is legal to do so. Contact with the police department has been less than helpful. In fact one cop said
When I called the police station all he said was that he wasn't sure what section in the HTA he would cite but that if he saw me driving around like that he would find something.

By going to MTO, jonhimself will have something in writing than he can rely upon for his defence when he does get pulled over. MTO is a provincial authority providing written certification. No police officer will step up to the plate and do that for him.

Fight Your Ticket!
hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

ticketcombat..copy that.

On all these traffic issues, most police services are far from the HTA as they are humping so many calls for barking dogs, domestics etc...

People should contact the actual traffic services section of their respective service.

On that note....I do not see a problem with a vehicles without a windshield, no different than an MC. It would require mirrors as mentioned above. MTO guidelines for windows is can not be a crack in the windshield wiper clearing area and no part of a piece of glass can be loose (makes sense should it fly into an eyeball)

Nor does HTA Oreg 611 (7) state a windshield must be in place.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Post a Reply