A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

TFCFAN

Old Fine ?: 32(1) Driving Without A Licence/improper Licence

by: TFCFAN on

Hey everyone... Just found this forum today and it's great to have a resource like this available to discuss the Highway Traffic Act with people in the know.

Anyways I couldn't find any posting that related to my present problem and I was wondering if I could find some quick answers.

Back in May of '09 I had an overdue fine for an expired tag. When I went in to pay it off I asked the clerk at the DMV to include the cost for everything and to settle up the bill so I could keep driving. Long story short I walked out the door confident that I was legal and that I had no outstanding issues.

June rolls by and late one night while driving I get pulled over by an officer for a routine check to make sure I hadn't been drinking. I had just pulled out of an area that had a lot of bars so I didn't mind to much because I know the officer is just doing his job and making sure the roads were safe.

Anyways I get cleared on that. But, he comes back after running my licence to inform me that it wasn't valid. I explain to him about my unpaid fine that I had just paid everything off weeks earlier and hadn't been told that my licence needed to be reinstated.

Either way, he gave me a ticket for 32(1) "No Drivers Licence or Improper Class of Licence" and told me to go get my licence reinstated. He also said if I wanted to I could go to court and show them my licence afterwards as they might let me off the hook for the fine and so on. As for my car he was really nice and let me drive it home as long as I promised him that I would go straight there and would drive safely.

The very next day I went out and re-instated my licence and had some choice words with the clerk (ended up getting the same one). As for the fine; things were busy for a few days after that and I never got around to booking a court date. So, I just ended up paying it.

So now to my question.

I'm now stuck with this on my drivers abstract and my insurance renewal is coming up soon.

Does anyone know if this fine will affect my insurance at all?

Thank you in advance for any help in answering this question and I apologize for the long windedness of it...

Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

by: Simon Borys on

No one can speak to your insurance policy directly except your insurance company, so if you want to know for certain you'll have to ask them. However, the answer is probably yes. I understand the circumstances...you took care of your suspension but didn't pay the $150 reinstatement fee with the MTO to get your licence valid again. It's only an administrative issue but insurance companies most likely still take it as a sign that you are a higher risk.

NOTHING I SAY ON HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE.
hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

TFCFAN wrote: . As for my car he was really nice and let me drive it home as long as I promised him that I would go straight there and would drive safely....

:shock:

If you would have even hit a deer on the way home, insurance might not have covered anything as you did not have a licence to drive!

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Post a Reply