A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

z24driver86

Who Is Right In This Situation?

by: z24driver86 on

I was at this intersection this morning, turning right on red but at the yield sign.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s ... 5,,0,-4.52

I stopped to yield for oncoming traffic because there were tons coming, this guy started honking at me because I stopped. I was yielding to oncoming traffic because sometimes drivers change lanes to get into the strip mall that's on the right side. I was waiting for the way to be clear so I could safely enter the road. What do you guys think should I have just went into the right lane or stop and yield to the oncoming traffic?

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

The red light has nothing to do with it.

Yield is the only thing to deal with. You have to yield to approaching traffic in the marked lane you are entering. You do not have to yield to those vehicles in the farther lane(s).

There is a similiar situation in the city I live in, except the merge lane, actually starts the right most marked lane. Would not believe how many actually stop and do not proceed directly into the lane, makes no sense.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
beleafer81

by: beleafer81 on

Just to clarify... was there traffic comming in the right lane, left lane, or both? If there was traffic only on the left lane but the right lane was clear I would be honking too. Otherwise any traffic aproaching in the right lane will clober you, and you would be at fault.

z24driver86

there were tons of cars going west because it was rush hour. I was yielding to them because some of them could go into my lane since its for the major plaza on that street. The entrance to the plaza is very close to this turn and people do switch lanes. This guy was mad because I stopped at the yield sign (which is allowed) and i saw him stop very sharply too. The best part was that he was in such a hurry that later i passed him waiting to turn left in a long line up.

z24driver86

yes, there were but i could have pulled into the most right lane but I choose not to because there were cars coming and I didn't want hit anyone who suddenly decided they needed to turn into the plaza.

Post a Reply