colmond

Parking Tickets, Commercial Vehicle, New Brunswick Plates

by: colmond on

I'm a truck driver and I only get home a couple days a month. I park my tractor out front of my house while I'm home as my driveway is to short for it to fit without blocking the sidewalk or leaving my garage door open, and I rarely get a ticket for it (2 tickets in the past year and the truck was parked unmoved for a week at 1 point during that time with no tickets). This past week I've been at home as I am switching contracts. I have been ticketed for "parking a truck 11:00PM to 06:00 AM" every night just after 11:00 PM by the same officer (who lives down the road). Last night she ticketed my vehicle at 11:07, then went back and waited till 11:34 so she could tag it for being parked in excess of 24 hours (24 hours, 6 minutes).

There are other vehicles parked on the street for more than 24 hours, they aren't ticketed.

There are often vehicles parked on the wrong side of the road, I've never seen any of them ticketed.

I currently have New Brunswick plates, but they will be coming off and cancelled next week. What will happen if I just don't pay the fines?

I've received 4 tickets in 3 days...At what point does this become harrasment?

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

The problem is, all of the provinces and many US states have reciprocity for traffic and parking tickets.

Basically the courts will sent the information back to New Brunswick that your fines are unpaid. New Brunswick will see that you've acquired Ontario licence plates, and forward it to MTO. When MTO gets the information, they will not renew your plates until the fines are paid.

Unfortunately, by the definition of the law, this isn't "harassment." If your vehicle was parked in an area where it violated city by-laws, the officer can ticket you. What you could do is try to plea-bargain, offering to pay one of the tickets for dropping the other. If you explain the situation to the Prosecutor they might be willing to work out a deal for you

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
colmond

by: colmond on

Thanks for the response.

So, even though nobody else on the street is being ticketed when I am, I can't do anything about it.

Guess I'll try the plea bargain then.

Mind you, it costs about $100/week for a secure parking space where I can leave my truck. $40 to $100 a month for tickets is pretty cheap in comparison considering I don't have to drive back and forth to work, I don't have to worry about my truck being broken into or stolen, and I don't have to transfer all my laundry and stuff from one vehicle to another to home and back.

Post a Reply