bossman302

Snowmobile Owi In Michigan

by: bossman302 on

I have been charged with snowmobile operate under influence in the state of michigan, ontario resident, can not find much info on this crime, can I loose my canadian driver's license, and if so how long, all info found relates to motor vehicle not snowmobile, any help would be great thanks

FyreStorm

Posting Awards

by: FyreStorm on

It would appear yes, that you may lose you driving priviledges here in Ontario as a result of a conviction in the Michigan.

ONTARIO REGULATION 37/93

RECIPROCAL SUSPENSION OF DRIVERS LICENCE

Consolidation Period: From May 1, 2009 to the e-Laws currency date.

Last amendment: O. Reg. 404/08.

This Regulation is made in English only.

1. Pursuant to subsection 42 (5) of the Act, each offence provision in Column 2 of the Table that has been enacted by the state of the United States of America mentioned in Column 1 opposite the provision is designated for the purposes of sections 41 and 42 of the Act:

State

Offence

New York

The operation of a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs under section 1192 of the Vehicle and Traffic Law.

New York

Criminal negligence or manslaughter resulting from the operation of a motor vehicle under article 125 of the Penal Law.

New York

Reckless or dangerous driving under section 1212 of the Vehicle and Traffic Law.

Michigan

Manslaughter resulting from the operation of a motor vehicle, under Michigan Compiled Law, Section 750.321.

Michigan

Failure to stop at the scene of an accident involving injury or death of a person, under Michigan Compiled Law, Sections 257.617 and 257.617a.

Michigan

Operation of a motor vehicle while impaired by or under the influence of an intoxicating liquor or a controlled substance, or a combination of them, under Michigan Compiled Law, Section 257.625 (3).

Michigan

Operation of a motor vehicle with over .08 grams or more of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood, per 210 litres of breath or per 67 millilitres of urine, under Michigan Compiled Law, Section 625 (1) (b).

Michigan

Refusal to provide a chemical breath analysis, under Michigan Compiled Law, Section 257.625a.

Michigan

Operation of a motor vehicle while under the influence of intoxicating liquor, controlled substance or a combination of them, causing serious impairment to a person, under Michigan Compiled Law, Section 257.625(5).

Michigan

Operation of a motor vehicle while impaired by or under the influence of an intoxicating liquor or a controlled substance, or a combination of them, under Michigan Compiled Law, Section 257.625 (4).

O. Reg. 37/93, s. 1; O. Reg. 558/96, s. 1; O. Reg. 111/03, s. 1; O. Reg. 404/08, s. 1.

Marquisse

by: Marquisse on

How do they consolidate information from Michigan's files to Ontario's, out of curiosity? IE, when will they find out or when will this conviction be registered on the license of a driver, licensed in a different country?

bossman302

by: bossman302 on

ontario reg states criminal code (us) 625 but as far as I can see I am charge under snowmobile act criminal code 324 do not know if it affects or crosses over to 625, that is where i do not understand, any further help would be appreicated.

OPS Copper

by: OPS Copper on

criminal code charge questions= ask your lawyer.

I am not sure any of us a versed in Michigan criminal/highway laws as to what is a vehicle and what is not.

OPS Copper

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

Michigan's laws are a bit different than Ontario, but basically OWI on a snowmobile is transferred to your driver licence and suspensions/points are applied. Any OWI offence is treated the same, whether it is in a motor vehicle or snowmobile or anything else. See this link from the Michigan Secretary of State:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/SOS_W ... 8273_7.pdf
Marquisse wrote:How do they consolidate information from Michigan's files to Ontario's, out of curiosity? IE, when will they find out or when will this conviction be registered on the license of a driver, licensed in a different country?

Ontario and Michigan signed a reciprocity agreement about 10 years ago. If an Ontario resident gets convicted of a "moving violation" in Michigan, MDOT employees know that they are supposed to take the information and send it to MTO. Ironically, Michigan does not have any reciprocity agreements with other US states for traffic tickets, only Ontario. :shock: So if you are an out-of-state driver and you get pulled over in Michigan, one of three things happens (unless you're from Ontario):

- Take your licence (and usually your car) until you post a "bond" :shock:

- Pay $100 to the officer as a bond to ensure payment of the ticket, receipt issued :shock:

- Sign an agreement to return to Michigan to answer the charge, failure to appear generates an arrest warrant :shock:

OPS Copper wrote:criminal code charge questions= ask your lawyer.

+1

FYI... if you're wondering why I know any of this, I used to live in Michigan.

Side note: Criminal Code topics are not appropriate for this board, but since this thread seems to be more about licence suspension, etc., based on an out-of-province offence, it is acceptable to talk about it here, IMO

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
Post a Reply

Return to “Traffic Offences Outside Ontario”