Solid Yellow Line Vs. Double Yellow Line

Improper passing - section 148 of the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.
TracyBudgell

Solid Yellow Line Vs. Double Yellow Line

Unread post by TracyBudgell »

I am having a hard time finding the answer to this. What is the difference between a double solid line and a single yellow line? Can I pass on a single yellow line? I have always done it, but I am not sure if it is legal. Just trying to stop a traffic ticket before it happens! Thanks.

Radar Identified

Unread post by Radar Identified »

You can pass on both a single or a double yellow line in Ontario. :shock:

The Ontario Traffic Manual sets the guidelines for when a single or double yellow line are to be used. Basically a double yellow is used when it is likely to be unsafe to pass, such as going around a blind curve. Single yellow lines are where it also may be unsafe, such as approaching an intersection or on parts of a 2-lane road, etc. They're guidelines only, basically telling you that it might be unsafe to pass in that area. What's really important are sections 148 and 149 of the Highway Traffic Act. 148 deals with overtaking and passing rules. Here's the important part of that:

Passing vehicle going in same direction

(8 ) No person in charge of a vehicle shall pass or attempt to pass another vehicle going in the same direction on a highway unless the roadway,

(a) in front of and to the left of the vehicle to be passed is safely free from approaching traffic; and

(b) to the left of the vehicle passing or attempting to pass is safely free from overtaking traffic.

And section 149...

Driving to left of centre prohibited under certain conditions - 149.

(1) No vehicle shall be driven or operated to the left of the centre of a roadway designed for one or more lines of traffic in each direction,

(a) when approaching the crest of a grade or upon a curve in the roadway or within 30 metres of a bridge, viaduct or tunnel where the drivers view is obstructed within that distance so as to create a potential hazard in the event another vehicle might approach from the opposite direction; or

(b) when approaching within 30 metres of a level railway crossing.

Exception

(2) Subsection (1) does not apply,

(a) on a highway divided into clearly marked lanes where there are more such lanes for traffic in one direction than in the other direction;

(b) to a road service vehicle where precautions are taken to eliminate the hazard; or

(c) on a highway while it is designated for the use of one-way traffic.

Nothing about single or double lines. Section 150 deals with passing on the right. As long as you haven't broken one of the above rules, and you pass in safety, you're okay to pass on a single OR double yellow line.

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
brentdub

Unread post by brentdub »

this was an old post but I had a debate with my wife about this recently.

Radar Identified summed it up proper and you cannot get a ticket for passing over a solid yellow line(s) (except in certain situations) but you will get a ticket for passing a solid white line (car pool lanes, highway divider, at every intersection, bike lane etc).

the Ministry decided to use yellow lines and road signs to signify a suggested actions and white lines and signs to spefify mandatory actions.

Whether youre on a country road with one or two solid yellow lines, the police wont pull you over for overtaking a menonite or tractor.

Radar Identified

Unread post by Radar Identified »

brentdub wrote:the Ministry decided to use yellow lines and road signs to signify a suggested actions and white lines and signs to spefify mandatory actions.

That's the best way of describing it.

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca