Traffic ticket for Prohibited turns? Learn the Highway Traffic Act here.
jaggyb

Going Straight Green Light (hwy 410 + Williams Pkwy) Brampto

by: jaggyb on

I was going straight on green light (Hwy 410 + Williams Pkwy) in Brampton and got a ticket. Officer told me that I cannot go straight on this light and there is a sign. I went back to the intersection and checked and there is a sign that left turn is allowed. There is another sign that right turn is allowed. But there is no sign that going straight is not allowed. Questions:

1.Is officer correct giving me ticket?

2. Can I go to prosecutor and if does not agree can I go for trial.

3. When should I request disclosures, now or after prosecutor do not agree and I have to go for trial.

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

i somehow used google maps and was able to get a drivers view of the intersection, in colour too boot.........on top of the zoom in/out grab the person icon and drag onto the street, gives you a person eyeview of the intersection...good stumble on for sure!!!

it shows the intersection, with arrow to turn left and arrow to turn right with word of "only" underneath.

The 2 arrow signs appear to be proper lane designation sign as per HTA OREG 615, sec 34(1)

A lane designated sign shall be used to indicate by means of a single arrow or a combination of arrows the ONLY PERMITTED MOVEMENT by vehicles on one or more lanes of a highway marked with the sign.

Further there is pavement markings of a left arrow on the left lane and a right arrow on the right lane x 2.

Green roads signs also indicate left and right

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
ponyboyt

by: ponyboyt on

yes google maps and earth is great but keep in mind some of those pictures are 7 years old.... i cna see my driveway and the ease on that Avalanche ran out in 2007 :)

jaggyb

Thanks for reply hwybear and I am sure you know more than me about law and must be correct. However, I am sure as well it is not a very clear sign for general public and I have seen people going straight regularly at this intersection. Officer told me that there is a sign that you cannot go straight and I am sure he was referring the word "only". I asked officer that it is a green light and I am not aware that we cannot go straight and if can excuse for this time. He said give me a moment, went in to his car and come out with a ticket in his hand. I have no intention to break the law. This is because; I could clearly see his car standing there, when I was waiting at red light for 2 minutes. If I had any intention to break the law, I would not have done that when I saw his Car. But I did not. He could have made my day by giving me warning and letting me go. I really that I am being tricked, when some one is waiting to give you a ticket, knowing very well from experience in the past that people make mistake here. If you know people make mistake here, it would be a great idea to get in touch with municipality to make signs more clear, rather than waiting there to issue tickets. With what you explained to me about law it seems like I am going to loose. However I still want to go to prosecutor or court to say this. Which option I should exercise. If I go to prosecutors office do I still have option to go to court or no?

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

jaggyb wrote:. Officer told me that there is a sign that you cannot go straight and I am sure he was referring the word "only".

The arrow signs by themselves require the driver to turn "only" in a particular direction.

The word "only" added underneath the 2 arrows is probably put up to remind drivers, but is not a required sign or legislated sign that I could find.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
jaggyb

Hi Radar Identified

Offence: Disobey Sign

Section: Highway Traffic Act 182(2).

I really don't care about the fine. I will pay it if I did mistake, but don't want to spoil my record. I always tried to follow law and in last 10 yrs of my driving don't have single ticket. I want to keep it clean.

Post a Reply