A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

toofast4uM3

How To Approach These?

by: toofast4uM3 on

hi so i have a few tickets that i dont know what to do about...

so i bought a car and i didnt have it plated or anything and got pulled over

these tickets are the ones with the court date at the bottom..its oct 27

these are the following tickets:

Fail to apply for permint in becoming owner H.T.A. 11 (2)

Stop sign- fail to stop HTA 136 (1)(a)

Drive motor vechile no plates HTA 7 (1)(b)(i)

Driver fail to stop when directed by police HTA 216(1)

motor vechile without insurance 2 (i)(a)

Red light fail to stop HTA 144 (18)

careless driving HTA 130

how should i go about dealing with these tickets i know i made a mistake and regret it...im 20 years old how should i deal with this its not like the normal tickets this is the one with a court date at the bottomm

my story the cops were on bikes they turned around i kept driving so i turned on to a street got caught in traffic and they pull up pull us out etc etc...i didnt know they were coming after me there cops on bikes for gods sake.....

someone please help

toofast4uM3

wow ok so it looks like im in some deep water...

i looked at the demerit point and for careless driving and hta 216 im looking at 13 demirt points right there should i just not drive anymore? but i cant i have to drive my job depeds on it.

OPS Copper

by: OPS Copper on

Driving is the least of your worry.....You could be looking at jail time...I saw someone get 30 days for failing to stop but this was for a vehicle pursuit..

Only advice I have is get a lawyer.....a good one.... But a lot of those offenses are pretty easy to prove for cops...You were driving and you will have to prove you had insurance..(btw a min fine of 5000 for first offense)..The rest will just come from MTO and prove vehicle is not plates, registered, etc...

OPS

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

OPS Copper wrote:Only advice I have is get a lawyer.....a good one....

X2

Get help from a professional on this one. The possible consequences are far too severe to try to fight it on your own. You have a summons to appear in court so you have to go anyway, you should not go in alone.

toofast4uM3

i really cant afford to hire a lawyer im a student whos in college and bearly able to survive can some one please guide me thro with this....before this i had a good record now i dont :( please help

toofast4uM3

i cant go to jail...cant i prove the cop wasnt chasing me he didnt have sirens and he didnt have any way of showing he was in pursuit of me tho...how can i not fight that?

OPS Copper

by: OPS Copper on

toofast4uM3 wrote:i cant go to jail...cant i prove the cop wasn't chasing me he didnt have sirens and he didnt have any way of showing he was in pursuit of me tho...how can i not fight that?

No actually you can go to jail......Most people blow off the HTA as just a ticket....But the offenses can and do include Jail time...up to 6 mos...

Here the prosecutors almost always request and get jail time for theses offenses...especially with this many....

If you were charged with Impaired driving you would get a lawyer....So now that your freedom is at stake for a longer period of jail time you will not get a lawyer....

GS

Oh for the record If it had been me who stopped you I would have seized your car as well....HTA sec 217...

I Was a poor student once and somehow I managed to have a DL, Reg, and insurance....

toofast4uM3

i understand what i did was wrong and i honestly regret doing it....if i could go back i would change things

now with the actual problem at stake i cant afford a lawyer but i got a paralegal to help me out....is that sufficent?

now i know sometimes i can cut a deal with the presecutor...what kinda deal should i be asking for? and is there any way ill be able to keep my liecene driving means alot to me not only that it is my only means of transportation

i agree if the cop wanted to he could tow it away..he let me drive it to the nearest parking lot which i consider nice....

what can be done now? i mean i regret doing this and just wnat my licence

i will be at 2700 eglington tomm at 9 are any of the judges hard there.....

please help right now you guys are my only source for info

to the comment above im not tryin to be rude or anyhting im just trying to educate my self as well as understand whats happenin....

liveontheedge

by: liveontheedge on

If you are going in alone then ask the judge for a delay to seek legal advise or to apply for legal aid (if possible). This will buy you time to prepare for next appearance. Don't talk to much to the prosecutor as you may end up incriminate yourself.

Some of the charges may be exaggerated but cop's job is to lay charges regardless of evidence, if not he'll be out of work.

Radar Identified

Consider visiting a Legal Aid Clinic. The minimum fine just for the insurance will cost you $6000 ($5000 fine plus surcharge), and that doesn't even count the careless driving, red light, stop sign, no permit etc., tickets. With all of those in combination, you're looking at time in jail. OPS Copper wasn't kidding and I'm not, either. And since this is in Toronto, you'll likely be sent to either Metro East Detention or, if it's the worst day of your life, the Don Jail. Both of them are overcrowded and the conditions are deplorable; if you go to the Don Jail, which is a possibility, you will be shocked to see that something so brutal exists in Canada. This was the facility that caused Judges to start the practice of giving a 2-for-1 credit for time served in provincial remand facilities. There are charges that we can help you fight, but in serious situations, I always recommend a lawyer or paralegal. This is one of those times. In fact, I'd say that you're in one of the most dire predicaments I've ever come across on this forum. Do not underestimate it. Here's a link that may help you:

http://www.legalaid.on.ca/

Good luck with it.

Squishy

by: Squishy on

Radar Identified wrote:This was the facility that caused Judges to start the practice of giving a 2-for-1 credit for time served in provincial remand facilities.

That's now gone, by the way.

Radar Identified

Squishy wrote:That's now gone, by the way.

If you're referring to the 2-for-1 credit, did it receive assent or is it still going through Parliament? I thought it was still "a work in progress," although with support from several opposition parties it looked like it would go through.

If you're referring to the Don Jail... the "old" Don Jail was closed in 1977 (site of Canada's last executions). The "new" Don Jail is still operating, although they say it is (supposedly) slated to close by 2013.

Squishy

by: Squishy on

I may have the federal/provincial level stuff confused. The federal government just recently passed a law where jail time before trial would get 1-for-1 credit, capped at 1.5-for-1 credit for extreme circumstances. Maybe this doesn't apply to provincial courts and provincial offences.

toofast4uM3

k so im going to my hearing i guess right now...im gonna ask to see what penalities im looking at....i just cant believe jail just might be one of them... this is serious...wish me luck guys :( anything i should do or say...

my paralegal says to say i need more time so i can seek out legal representation, and if they ask how i plead i should say not guilty? good?

Post a Reply

Return to “General Talk”