A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

roboguard68

Turning Left Into Plaza Entrance

by: roboguard68 on

I was turning left into a plaza parking lot.. Sun was directly in front of me..i had sunglasses on..as I proceeded to turn was already halfway into driveway when i noticed another vehicle approaching me. i sensed a possible collision so i tried to get out of the way of the oncoming vehicle. but didn't make it...Am I at fault with these extenuating circumstances of blinding sunlight. and my due diligence of trying to avoid getting hit?

Zatota

Posting Awards

by: Zatota on

Yes, you're at fault. A driver who is making a left turn is required to ensure it is safe to do so. Blinding sunlight is not a defence. The fact that you tried to avoid the collision may have reduced the damage, but it won't otherwise help you.

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

Agreed. Anyone who turns their vehicle across traffic is required to do so in safety.

The blinding sunlight defense gets brought up quite a bit on these forums. If we're being honest, it's a bit of a crutch for user error. If your vision is so impaired that you're turning into oncoming vehicles and creating accidents, then perhaps pull over somewhere and take a break. It's not a defense to knowingly drive blind. You are not obligated to continue driving.

When discussing "at fault", are we talking about a ticket or do we mean insurance?

Insurance providers use the fault determination rules to determine a percentage of fault. You'd be considered 100% at fault in this scenario. If we're talking about tickets, they aren't interested in assigning fault percentages. You either can be charged or not. Whether or not someone is charged or convicted wont necessarily change what happens on the insurance side of things. They are two separate processes.

Post a Reply