Talking On Cellphone New Fine

A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Reflections, admin, Radar Identified, hwybear, bend, Decatur

goldom1234

Talking On Cellphone New Fine

Unread post by goldom1234 »

Hey All,

I have a question. I was driving recently and was caught and charged under the distracted driving law as someone called me. It mentions I have 15 days to pay but I want to consider my options. I also read in the newspaper that the set fine of $155 will be going up March 18th.

Would this apply to me if I pay after March 18 or only to those caught after this date? Thanks a lot everyone for your reply.

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

Unread post by Stanton »

The fine will remain the same as shown on your ticket. The new fine will only apply to people charged on that date forward.

goldom1234

Unread post by goldom1234 »

Another question-hypothetically speaking, if they impose demerit points for cellphone offences in the future but before I have paid my fine-would that apply to me or not?

docran

Unread post by docran »

I am going to court on Friday re cell phone charge what are the chances of BUrlington pop not showing up. And does anyone know if the fine can. Be increased from the 155 if you go to court

bend

Posting Awards

Unread post by bend »

docran wrote:I am going to court on Friday re cell phone charge what are the chances of BUrlington pop not showing up. And does anyone know if the fine can. Be increased from the 155 if you go to court

They will show up.

The set fine with surcharges for anyone charged before March 18 is $155. If a driver challenges the ticket in court, a judge has the discretion to adjust the fine anywhere in the range of $60 to $500.

docran

Unread post by docran »

WWII lucky me. Went to court re cellphone--pop officer was transferred to Ottawa--not there case dismissed. Gotta love the opp relocation program. Just proves you have to fight everything cuz you never know