Is it legal to carry a machete in your trunk?

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

Is it legal to carry a machete in your trunk?

by: 12345 on
Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:50 pm

Don't know if this is off topic but I was wondering if it is legal to carry a machete in your trunk. My friend surprised me with one for my birthday and I thought it would be a good idea to bring along since I have a cottage that is out of cell phone reception. I have slid into the ditch before on the bad roads and luckily someone came by soon after but in the event I would need to collect fire wood etc. I think it would be a good tool to have with the rest of my roadside safety kit.
tdottopcop

by: tdottopcop on
Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:57 am

Perfectly legal.

However, I would keep it out of sight. Store it in the trunk and keep it there until when you need it. Should you/your vehicle ever be searched by the police, I would advise them that it's there for the reasons you stated. Don't say it's for your protection or anything like that.
No, I am not the chief of Toronto Police.
No, I do not work for Toronto Police...
... it is just a name folks :)
Mugwug

by: Mugwug on
Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:38 am

AndruLuka wrote:As per my suggestion yes, it's legal to carry a machete it around in your trunk. It's one kind of safety kit as well as a little weird for you. It's good for self defense.
Explaining to a Police Officer that the machette is good for self defence is going to cause all kinds of complications. If you have a machette in your trunk for it's intended purpose then fine, store it safely so the thing doesn't fly around in a collision and if asked explain why you have it (that's generally for clearing brush and heavy foiliage).

If you are carrying a machette around for self defence you need to rethink that.

[Another great answer AndruLuka - don't let a lack of specific knowledge stop you from answering these questions]