Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!

The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.

HELP!! Licence suspended - Need advice ASAP please
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:38 pm 

I really need advice!! My licence has been suspended and I'm completely panicked since I need my car for work. Here's the situation:

I got a ticket last year for driving while using my cellphone. I filed to go to court and the court date was at the end of March. Unfortunately the date was a few days after my dad passed away suddenly so my head was somewhere else and I completely forgot about court. I didn't even realize that I missed the court date until I got my conviction notice in the mail. So stupid me, I had alot of things going on and I missed the fine due date (which was only about a week from the date that I got the notice). But I didn't think it was a big deal and thought that they would just send another reminder letter.

So today I got a notice from MTO saying my licence has been suspended for not paying the fine!!!! It says that I need to stop driving immediately, return my licence to MTO and pay the $150 reinstatement fine.

I'm really upset because I need my car for work. I know it was a stupid thing to do but I honestly had no idea that my licence could be suspended for this. I've been driving for over 10 years and have only had 1 minor offence. No demerit points. No speeding tickets. Nothing. This just seems so harsh and I'm so upset. Having a car is part of the condition of my work. If I can't drive, I can't do my job and my boss will kill me. I'm just on contract so I could totally see her letting me go because of this. Alot of places that I travel to are far and just not accessible by public transportation.

Is there anything I can do to get my licence back sooner???? Any exceptions at all? I really cannot be without my car for a week. I don't even really understand the process. Do I mail in my driver's licence or go to Min. of Transportation?? And then once I pay the $150 they mail me a new one? That's going to take forever. Don't they normally send a warning notice to saying that your licence will be suspended if you don't pay the fine? I only just got the notice of fine and due date and then this. Is that how it normally works?

If you have any advice or can just explain the process a bit more I'd be really grateful. Thank you.

Re: HELP!! Licence suspended - Need advice ASAP please
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:01 pm 

If you pay the fine at the court, you can reinstate your license in about 4 days (it takes that long to notify the MTO). You can then go to a ServiceOntario and get a temporary driver's license (after paying $150) until they mail you a new license card.

Re: HELP!! Licence suspended - Need advice ASAP please
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:46 am 
VIP

Maybe time to get the flu LOL