Killerwhale153

Fail To Remain/stop..parking Lot

by: Killerwhale153 on

I haven't been called or charged yet but I'm creating this topic because I'm freaking out.

About a week ago I was backing in to a parking spot and I got a bit too close to the car next to me. It had a scuff near the wheel with no paint from my car and my car had no corresponding damage (dents etc) except for a minor scratch and a little paint from a previous incident. It was definitely possible I dinged the car but I wasn't 100% sure. Either way I looked for witnesses to ask and there were none. I waited around for 10 mins so I could ask the other driver if the damage was already there. Also didn't have a pen at the time so I left for an appointment, then came back with a note, but the car was gone.

It was stupid of me I know, I should've reported to the cops just in case on the day of. Now I haven't heard anything yet but I'm wondering what my defence is if I get called in. I realize if there was video of me, then it might be enough proof. I'm also freaking out because it might be a criminal charge since it's a parking lot? Just asking for advice here in case something happens. I wasn't trying to escape liability.

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

As far as insurance goes, They don't care whether it's in a parking lot or on a highway. Fault Determination Rules still apply. In your case, you'd be considered 100% at fault. If that person has your plate, they'll likely give it to their insurance provider and they'll take care of the rest.

In a parking lot, duty to report an accident still applies. Someone who gets in an accident in a parking lot and fails to report can be charged if the accident meets the criteria for a reportable accident. It's not limited to a "highway".

Killerwhale153 wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:20 pm

I wasn't trying to escape liability.

You've had a week to figure this out. Yet it sounds like you've done absolutely nothing. You are absolutely trying to escape liability.

Killerwhale153

by: Killerwhale153 on

bend wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:14 pm

As far as insurance goes, They don't care whether it's in a parking lot or on a highway. Fault Determination Rules still apply. In your case, you'd be considered 100% at fault. If that person has your plate, they'll likely give it to their insurance provider and they'll take care of the rest.

In a parking lot, duty to report an accident still applies. Someone who gets in an accident in a parking lot and fails to report can be charged if the accident meets the criteria for a reportable accident. It's not limited to a "highway".

Killerwhale153 wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:20 pm

I wasn't trying to escape liability.

You've had a week to figure this out. Yet it sounds like you've done absolutely nothing. You are absolutely trying to escape liability.

Look man, I know how it looks. I didn't go to the cops in that week because I was afraid of being charged if I admitted to leaving the scene briefly. Trust me, I am happy to just pay this guy and get it out of the way. This is why I came here to ask for advice. I would take a fail to report ticket or whatever, but I was just afraid of criminal charges (don't even know if they do this for minor incidents like these).

Anyway I ended up asking the cops if a report was filed by the other party and there was nothing. The guy was cool about it and just told me to report it immediately next time if something like this happens. So I think I'm good for now.

Post a Reply