kidebg

Careless Driving, Fail To Report, Fail To Remain

by: kidebg on

Got all 3 at once and court date for June 2010 in downtown Toronto.

Accident: I got a green light and after 100m guy cut my line ( I was in the middle line) almost causing total wreck. I've stopped my car on the side of his car and asked him if he is crazy or what? He didn't respond at all looked drunk or high. So I left the scene (didn't know that's against the law). When I was leaving I made mistake non- intentional (scratched his left mirror and car .....minor scratch)... remember his car was inside of my line angle of 45 degrees . Im from Europe and small scratch is not accident there and I assumed this was nothing not even the accident. I was wrong.

Guy filed a report, claimed that I broke his mirror ... a lie. My girlfriend was in a car and she also testified in front of the 2 police detectives and she will testify in court.

I have a CLEAN record here (3 years) , clean US record( 4 years). What should I do?

Please help...

Thanks!

Dan

:cry:
Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

Definitely get professional help with this! The consequences of getting convicted could be very severe. Talk to some paralegals/traffic lawyers and see what they have to say, but don't go into this alone.

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
Traffic Law

by: Traffic Law on

Is Fail to Remain the only charge that was issued to you?

This particulat accident is not reportable (damage does not exceed prescribed amount) but you should have remained to exchange information.

You should certainly take this allegation seriously. If you get convicted of this offence you will face 7 demerit points and serious offence on your record (dramatic insurance increase!!!!).

OTTLegal

by: OTTLegal on

When your involved in any accident you have to,

1. Stop or remain at the scene of the accident

2. Render any assistance that maybe required

3. Upon request give your name, address, insurance information to the other driver.

If the damage is apparently over 1000 dollars or there is personal injury the accident must be reported to the police forthwith. (meaning you have to call the police right away.)

Fail to remain is a serious charge with 7 demerit points, a 2000 dollar fine and they can suspend your drivers licence for up to 2 years.

Insurance wise, Fail to Remain is considered a "Major Conviction" that will put your insurance rates into high risk insurance, (increases of thousands of dollars per year for 3 to 5 years.)

They are serious charges, you should get some qualified legal assistance with these tickets.

Chris Conway
Retired Toronto Traffic Officer, Hit & Run Squad Detective,
Breathalyzer Tech, Radar/Highway Patrol
Licenced Paralegal
Post a Reply