Fail To Stop At Red Light - But Wrong Charge?

Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:58 pm

Fail To Stop At Red Light - But Wrong Charge?

by: Snoope on

I got busted for running a red light, however it doesn't seem correct to me. I come to an intersection. The light is red. I come to a complete stop. I turn right (while the light is still red) and proceed. I get pulled over. The officer tells me there is a sign there that prohibits a right turn on a red (he was correct, I missed it). But he writes me a fail to stop at a red light ticket. Shouldn't it be a disobey sign or unsafe turn violation? Can a charge be simply changed in court to a different charge to suit the situation? Or can my ticket be thrown out completely with no new charge refiled?

Jr. Member
Jr. Member
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:38 pm

by: EphOph on

The officer has 6 months from the offence date to withdraw the charge and re-issue the correct charge. File for a trial, when you get your trial date request disclosure. If the officer's notes reflect the wrong charge (he wrote that you stopped) and your trial is at least 6 months after the offence date, the prosecutor should withdraw the charge. If your trial date is LESS than 6 months, you will have to ask for an adjournment. If your trial starts I believe this is where they could amend the certificate to the correct charge also.

High Authority
High Authority
Posts: 1722
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:18 pm

by: jsherk on

It sounds like the wrong charge. Did you actually stop? If you actually stopped then you can beat this charge.

Plead not guilty and request a trial with the officer present. Once you get your notice of trial, request disclosure (officers notes). Once you get the officers notes, scan and post here with personal/officer info blacked out and we will confirm that it is beatable.

+++ This is not legal advice, only my opinion +++
User avatar
Sr. Member
Sr. Member
Posts: 361
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:46 pm

Posting Awards

by: highwaystar on

Have you called in to see if they mailed your notice already? It might have already been sent and you just didn't get it (i.e. lost in transit). For all you know, you coulld have already even been found not wanting to dispute the charge for failing to show up for your trial. I would follow up to make sure all is fine.

Post a Reply
  • Similar Topics

Return to “Failing to obey a stop sign, traffic control stop/slow sign, traffic light or railway crossing signal”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests