U-turn Disobey Sign - But Not Visible Because Of Sunset?

Got a Failing to obey signs traffic ticket?
Saibot

U-turn Disobey Sign - But Not Visible Because Of Sunset?

Unread post by Saibot »

Hey y'all

I've been through court quite a few times now so this isn't super new to me... however, i cannot find any case law at all about signs not being visible due to sun set light.

Long story short - I made a U-turn at a controlled intersection with traffic lights (from the left turn lane). I was facing westbound prior to the left turn lane right before sunset. There was one no u-turn sign for the entire intersection and the sun happened to be right beside the sign (as it was setting).

Due to this setting sunlight glare, I could not see the sign.

from O/Reg 615

45. A sign prescribed by this Regulation, other than a sign prescribed by section 13, 14, 15, 24, 25, 26 or 27, shall be so placed as to be visible at all times for a distance of at least 60 metres to the traffic approaching the sign. O. Reg. 175/08, s. 15.

Because the road is straight with no curves, would the sign be considered not visible?

(also, i feel like the reason why backlit signs exist is for this reason)

bend

Posting Awards

Unread post by bend »

I would disagree with your interpretation of the regulation. It's about putting signs behind a wall, tree, pole, etc. You can't place a sign to avoid glare at any given time. It's like putting your hands in front of your face and saying the sign isn't wasn't placed properly because you couldn't see it.

Glare in what way? Glare bouncing off the sign? Glare in your eyes?

Signs are made not to glare up from bouncing light. If you can't see because of the glare in your eyes, the solution is to pull over and not continue driving blind.

argyll
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

Unread post by argyll »

Exactly. This is no defence.

Former Ontario Police Officer. Advice will become less relevant as the time goes by !