Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!

The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.

Speeding 139 km in a 90 km zone (ticket already reduced)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:47 pm 

Hi there,

I was driving to on Highway 11N and an OPP officer caught me speeding. She told me my car would have been impounded but she decided to be my "best friend for the day" and reduce it to 139 km instead.

It's my first ticket ever, and I'm unsure as to what to do. I called a guy providing legal services and he cited a $625 fee to fight it for me. I'm not exactly sure what my options are, except that the 4 points will not be kind to my insurance.

Any advice? I've been browsing these forums and what I've gleaned so far is that people tend to start asking for disclosure first. If I show up in court then can I expect them to reduce the charge? Is this reduction only if I plead guilty? Or will I be potentially facing the stunt driving charge as well?

Thanks so much!

Re: Speeding 139 km in a 90 km zone (ticket already reduced)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:42 pm 

The crown will be aware that you've already been given a huge break; you've already avoided an expensive 7-day drivers license suspension & 7-day vehicle seizure.

You will not get any further speed reductions, however depending on your financial security you might be able to sway the Justice of Peace in reducing the fine and/or getting extra time to pay the fine.

Your insurance company only cares about the # of convictions. If you're a novice class licensed driver (ie: G1, G2, M1, M2...) then four demerit points = automatic 30-day license suspension. Insurance companies also care about license suspensions, so if you've accumulated enough points to get your DL suspended... that will increase your rates.

But if you're a fully graduated licensed driver (ie: G, M) then four points brings you down to 11pts.

Different insurance companies rate speeding convictions differently, most treat +1kph to +49kph as a Minor Offense, and +50kph as a Serious Offense. http://www.ibc.ca/en/car_insurance/docu ... re_eng.pdf

Your best course of action is to request disclosure, and go from there.