No seat belt traffic ticket - Discuss the HTA here.
cizzar

Meeting With Jp Tomorrow - Not Sure What To Expect Or Say?

by: cizzar on

A few months ago I got a $240 ticket for driver failing to properly wear seatbelt, as my seatbelt was only across my hips, and not my chest. I have my meeting with the JP tomorrow, but I have no idea what I'm supposed to say, or what to expect. Do I explainthat I always wear my seatbelt like that as it's uncomfortable, and that of all the times I've been pulled over in the past, no officer has ever mentioned it? Or doing just explain why I can't afford the ticket, being just out of school and paying off osap , etc? Will the JP have a copy of my past driving offenses? (Only 2 prior tickets, nothing terrible, and both were 4+ years ago so no longer have the points). Or do I not ,mention the seatbelt offense, prior tickets, etc and just explain why I'd like the fine lowered?

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

What do you actually have tomorrow? Are you attending Court to plead guilty? Or is it a pre-trial meeting with the Crown? The reason I ask is that you don't have meeting with the Justice of the Peace regarding your fine. You can have a pre-trial meeting with the prosecutor and try to work out a plea deal where they recommend a reduced fine in exchange for your guilty plea. If you're found guilty at trial (or you plead guilty in Court) there will be a sentencing phase where you can request a reduced fine. I would not bring up lack of comfort, etc. as that's irrelevant. You can explain any financial hardships you might have and the J.P. may offer you a reduced fine and/or an extended period of time to pay it off. The Crown will be aware of your past driving offences but if they're not for the same offence, they probably won't be brought up.

Post a Reply

Return to “Driver failing to wear a seat belt”