Visiting family from out of the country

OutOfTowner
Visiting family from out of the country

Unread post by OutOfTowner on

Visiting family from out of the country. Used to live in MTL. Proud to say that, in 20 yrs, I have never ever gotten a Ticket ( Not even a parking ticket). I consider myself a law abiding, and good driver. Now that I have tooted my own horn :). LOL! I would really like to get some advice regarding my current situation. After, visiting my parents in the QC province, and driving to my in-laws in the ON Province, We pulled into a service center. Our Van was stopped midway on the ramp, OPP, said he was conducting a spot check. I was sitting way at the back, did have a lab belt on. But started to remove it, because I wanted to run into the rest area before the kids woke up. I was, given a ticket for $ 240.00. For not wearing a seat belt. 1) I did have one on, but was getting ready to run into the service area, so took it off, as we were being stopped and 2) I really did not know it was a LAW FOR ALL PEOPLE in the vehicle to wear a seat belt. Any advice. I feel horrible that I broke the law (IF, I had known) and also, I cannot pay this much $$. Can someone please advise me? Thank you so very much, and Happy Holidays!

SidinBram
Unread post by SidinBram on

I suggest you opt for trial and that may give you some time to consider your best defence

Return to “Driver failing to ensure that a passenger under 16 years is wearing a seat belt”