A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

Off_Camber

Is The Mto Going To Takeover Drivetest?

by: Off_Camber on

Would this Province be better off running its own driver exam offices as opposed to having Serco DES ( a UK private company)?

when the Government of Ontario sold off its driver exam centres things went downhill.

Last week they caught some selling fraudulent drivers licences in false names.

not that this hasnt or couldnt happen with the Ministry running there own test centres-

it raises a question about HOW Serco DES treats its employees and runs there DriveTest centres as a buisness NOT a service.

AND the people of Ontario deserve better than a foreign owned buisness running its license and test centres.

The Government of Ontario has failed the People more than once-selling the 407 to a foreign owned company.

The Government of Ontario NEEDS to reassume control of its Drivetest Centres Because issuing a license is NOT a buisness-its a service.

As of next week, due to the ongoing labour dispute- I have 52 students pending upgrade roadtests to a AZ Licence whom are being held back from there new career-many of them CAW members whom lost there jobs months ago.

secondly, ive spoken to many other truckers whom have had problems at weigh stations in the United States whose licenses are expired and require to do a written test -although Ontario has extended there license.

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

Off_Camber wrote:secondly, ive spoken to many other truckers whom have had problems at weigh stations in the United States whose licenses are expired and require to do a written test -although Ontario has extended there license.

these drivers should go to this website and print off the info...

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/ ... ment.shtml

****from site ****************

As the result of a strike by unionized employees of Serco DES Inc., Ontario DriveTest Centres are closed until further notice.

Most Ontario drivers will not be affected by this strike. Regular drivers licence renewals (i.e., drivers whose licences are expiring at the end of the normal five-year licencing period) can be renewed at Driver and Vehicle Licence Issuing Offices. Senior Group Education Sessions are also not affected and senior drivers should continue to attend group sessions as scheduled.

Driver examination services (i.e., written examinations, vision tests and road tests) are suspended until DriveTest Centres resume normal operations, including:

Tests for current drivers: If you require a test to renew your drivers licence, your licence will be extended until the strike has ended and regular driver examination services have resumed. For example, commercial (A, B, C, D, E and F) and novice class (G1, G2, M1 and M2) licences that require a renewal test, and will expire on or after August 24, 2009, will be extended for the duration of the strike. You will need to reschedule your test when services resume.

Tests for new drivers: If you need a test to get your drivers licence, you will need to schedule your test when services resume.

Tests for drivers upgrading existing licences: If you are seeking to upgrade your licence, you will need to reschedule your test when services resume.

For more information, or to check the status of your scheduled driver examination, visit www.drivetest.ca or call 1-888-570-6110

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Squishy

by: Squishy on

I wouldn't mind them making money from driver testing and licensing, but that money should be going to the Government of Ontario, to put towards general road maintenance and - God forbid - studying ways to improve traffic flow/safety and improving the efficacy of the testing procedures.

That kind of money shouldn't be going to a foreign (or even a domestic, but private) company that isn't likely to put it back into our road network, but running it break-even is a missed opportunity. The MTO budget should be proportional to, or at least influenced by, the number of potential drivers on the roads and this is a good way to help with that.

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

Ont gov't has done this outsource in many aspects over the years.

Here is another - Daily Hwy maintenance - all private contractors

Buying military vehicles from outside Canada

most of my uniform is not from Canada either (there was a report in news around June about this)

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Off_Camber

by: Off_Camber on

hwybear wrote:Ont gov't has done this outsource in many aspects over the years.

Here is another - Daily Hwy maintenance - all private contractors

Buying military vehicles from outside Canada

most of my uniform is not from Canada either (there was a report in news around June about this)

i just had to erase a comment i put here. innappropriate for this site. but it was funny though... :lol:

Post a Reply

Return to “General Talk”