Car Crushing Michael Bryant Is In Some Hot Water !

A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Reflections, admin, Radar Identified, hwybear, bend, Decatur

BelSlySTi

Car Crushing Michael Bryant Is In Some Hot Water !

Unread post by BelSlySTi »

Sad for the rider!

But I would love to see the former AG in the clink, studying to be a vetranarian so he actaully knows what a Pit Bull looks like!

Maybe even run into the kids who's cars he crushed back when he was AG :)

http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/689220
Last edited by BelSlySTi on Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l352/toastedwhitebread/Untitled-TrueColor-03.jpg[/img]
Marquisse

Unread post by Marquisse »

I was shocked when I heard about it this morning! However, from the sound of it, and IMPO, the cyclist is responsible for his own death. He held onto the hed rest of the car, and if that happened to me and I was driving, I would panic and speed as well out of fear of this nutcase hitting or hurting me. I suppose we'll hear the entire story in the following day(s).

Off_Camber

Unread post by Off_Camber »

wonder if he got a stale butter and cheese sandwich and a cup of cold dirty tea while hes been detained in the basement of Old City Hall :lol:

PetitionGuy

Unread post by PetitionGuy »

let the former AG lay in the bed he made

karma can be viscious.....and imo, this couldn't have happened to a more deserving hypocrite

Radar Identified

Unread post by Radar Identified »

Bryant was a key figure in drafting Bill 203. Very ironic. At this point (as of the time I'm posting), charges are pending against Bryant. So far, these are the details:

- A collision between the Saab that Bryant was driving and the victim occurred on Bloor Street between Church and Yonge

- No indication of what caused the initial collision has been given yet

- Some reports say Bryant tried to leave the scene and the cyclist tried to stop him, others say the cyclist was trying to fight Bryant who fled the scene to escape

- The cyclist jumped on the hood of the car, then in the ensuing moments, held on to the driver's side of the car

- The car was driven westbound on Bloor in the eastbound lanes with the cyclist hanging on, according to witnesses the driver "sounded very angry"

- The car was driven onto the south sidewalk and the cyclist was slammed into trees, poles and a parking meter

- The cyclist fell off and was run over by the rear wheels of the car; he was rushed to St. Mike's Hospital where he later died

- The driver left the scene but did call 9-1-1

Toronto Police seem to be taking a very cautious approach to be sure they get it right with this case. Bryant may be released today but that does not rule out him being charged at a later date.

Marquisse

- The cyclist jumped on the hood of the car, then in the ensuing moments, held on to the driver's side of the car

Let me first say that Michael Bryant is not on my favorite politician list by any means (I think he did nothing but pander to the LSUC and mass hysteria regarding the Breed Specific banning) but the above quote, to me, is enough to tell me that the cyclist put himself in danger and caused any reasonable person to act in self defense. The only thing I could imagine is charging Bryant with leaving the scene. I would panic myself if somebody was holding onto my vehicle in anger, as I would perceive it as his/her attempt at coming after me, and that I was next. I would argue that I fought in self defense as the cyclist was trying to get hold of me and that could've caused serious injury to me given that I was operating a vehicle. Sorry that the cyclist died, but IMO he contributed greatly to his own demise - far more than Bryant (well, as details of the story continue to develop, we'll find how exactly how much).

I reserve the right to alter my opinion as the developments continue, of course ;)

Bookm

Unread post by Bookm »

Do cyclists really grab on to your car and go for a free ride in Toronto??

Anyone touches my personal property and I'm going to consider that hostile. He's going to get his fingers super-gloo'd to the handle and taken for a ride he'll never forget!

What the heck are these guys thinking?

Radar Identified

Bryant has been charged with dangerous driving causing death. I think the difference between trying to escape and the dangerous driving had to do with when he put the car on the sidewalk and hammered the guy into the trees, signposts, a fire hydrant, a mailbox, etc. If he'd swerved a few times, accelerated/braked abruptly, etc., instead of that, I'm guessing he wouldn't have been charged.

Tragic, but seriously, grabbing onto the hood of the car? Take down the licence plate and call the cops. This whole incident can be described in two words: Road Rage.

Bookm wrote:Do cyclists really grab on to your car and go for a free ride in Toronto??

Occasionally, yes, some bike couriers will hang on to buses or streetcars and get towed down the street. :shock:

Last edited by Radar Identified on Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marquisse

Wow, I am not sure I agree with that charge at all. I think he has some very good points in which to defend himself. This is a CCC charge, isn't it?

Radar Identified

Yes, dangerous driving is CCC.

While I don't want to speak ill of the dead too much here, the cyclist had no business hanging onto the car or jumping on the hood or anything. I guess we'll see what happens with Bryant, I think he was justified in trying to escape but the whole onto-the-sidewalk part is what I'm questioning.

Marquisse

Yes, I agree 100% with that assessment. There are photos of the deceased online now. He was a bike courier in downtown Toronto.