Hugo_Berserk

Share Your Experience Dealing With Hta 172 Charges!

by: Hugo_Berserk on

For my first ever post, I'm going to ask for your own story dealing with a s.172 charge.

There is a lot of teeth grinding online about the street racing laws but few hands-on accounts from people who have been there and done that. I saw many posts from people seeking advice but few mention the actual outcome.

With about 1/3 conviction rate, there should be many success stories around. Even if you were convicted, it would be interesting to know what consequences were handed by the JP.

Thanks!

Last edited by Hugo_Berserk on Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
War does not determine who is right, only who is left.
Reflections

by: Reflections on

Hugo_Berserk wrote:There is a lot of teeth

grinding online about the street racing

laws but few hands-on accounts

from people who have been there and done that

Perhaps those who are truly guilty don't know the ways of the Internet???

http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com
Hugo_Berserk

Perhaps those who are truly guilty don't know the ways of the Internet???

Maybe. Regardless of guilt, I suspect a lot might just want to forget the whole thing ever happened.

Maybe the guilty ones are shot in the back of the head in the courthouse parking lot. :wink:

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough with my topic.

Guilty or not, thousands of people thus far have gone to court to defend the charge. However after researching the subject for several hours I've only found a handful of accounts from people who actually went through the motions. The rest consists of opinions, sometimes very enlightened I must say, on why the law is good or not good.

I don't think a JP cares if the defendant agrees with the law or not; seems to me every paralegal will say he or she can do something to help; it's not the officer's job to give a roadside course on what to expect next after impounding the vehicle.

Therefore, the best people to say what actually goes on after getting charged under s.172 are the ones who have had it happen to them (or people close to them who are in the know).

There is no shortage of "help me I was caught speeding" messages floating around. It would be interesting to know what happens next.

Good day to all.

Bookm

by: Bookm on

Have (3) stories...

1) An old high school girlfriend has a 17yr. old son who was side-by-side against 2 other cars on a very wide industrial road on the edge of town (slow cars, just being goofy really). Coppers swooped in and stopped one car, who then commenced to squeal on the other two. All three impounded and charged under 172.

Result: Charge reduced to speeding, no trial. Mommy and Daddy have several large hog operations and threatened to move all insurance to another company if rates were to be raised as discussed. Insurance company backs down and raises rates to just $13 more per month.

LESSON? Be RICH!! You'll be treated much better than poor working saps.

2) One of our major clients has a 17yr. old son who fell asleep on the couch and woke up late for his ball game. He runs out and just 3 km's from his house gets hit with driving 60 over the limit. Car gone, kid crying when dad shows up.

Result: Fathers lawyer was scheduled to act as prosecutor on the day of kids trial. Lawyer meets with JP and deal worked out for change to lower speed and big fine (money no problem with this family).

LESSON? Be RICH!! You'll be treated much better than poor working saps.

3) Red Z24 maybe 5 seconds from being "on the hook". Sharp eye saves amazing driver! (or so I heard) ;)

Reflections

by: Reflections on

Bookm wrote:Sharp eye saves amazing driver! (or so I heard) Wink

Ummmmmmmmm, yeah. :D

http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com
Hugo_Berserk

Thank you for the stories. As Boris Vian said, money does not buy happiness for those who don't have any*. :P (my translation)

I'm a bit surprised that charges get reduced so easily. I would have thought the justice system would go all the way after impounding the vehicle and suspending the driver's licence.

Anyway, very interesting. Thanks again.

There is also a very interesting article right here

http://www.slaw.ca/2009/07/21/challengi ... acing-law/

I am curious how this is going to turn out.

Until then, kind folks keep your sharp eye on the speedometer. :shock: :wink:

*L'argent ne fait pas le bonheur de ceux qui n'en ont pas - BV

Post a Reply