Failing to obey a stop sign - Highway Traffic Act section 136(1).
symcor

by: symcor on

Sorry to hijack your post. I kind of run into the same situation. I am the driver and my girlfriend is sitting beside me. I have a stop and go in a sec, but the cop did not believe I stop. Give me a ticket and he is there because complain by the resident. My question is how big the advantage with my girlfriend as witness in this case. Did she need to prepare for certain kind of Q & A?

Please help.

pinch

by: pinch on

symcor wrote: he is there because complain by the resident.

Such is case always.

Your girlfriend is not a witness because she was in the car with you. Your passenger never counts as a witness (usually, I think).

Bookm

by: Bookm on

Of course a passenger can be a witness. The JP may determine that they're not a "credible" witness though, so they may not help your case that much.

I get a kick out of my wife at stop signs. She blabs on at nausium about never getting a ticket in her 30 year driving experience, but she rarely comes to a complete stop at stop signs. Even when I question her immediately after rolling one, she profusely denies it, LOL. Stop-sign tickets are like shooting fish in a barrel.

Reflections

by: Reflections on

Bookm wrote:She blabs on at nausium about never getting a ticket in her 30 year driving experience

She :?: :?: :?: :D :D :D :D

http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com
ticketcombat

by: ticketcombat on

Check out R. v. Andrews about having a passenger testify with contradictory evidence.

Also check out R. v. Stokes where the justice misclassified the charge as an absolute liability offence (very common mistake). It's also good for it's summary of the officer's testimony and evidence you should expect to be fighting.

Fight Your Ticket!
hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

Bookm wrote:, LOL. Stop-sign tickets are like shooting fish in a barrel.

and that my friend was confirmed on MythBusters!! (shooting fish in a barrel) although some fish could be affected by the shock waves sent thru the water from the bullet's velocity

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Bookm

by: Bookm on

Reflections wrote:
Bookm wrote:She blabs on at nausium about never getting a ticket in her 30 year driving experience

She :?: :?: :?: :D :D :D :D

Yah, I get it! But I only go on about "no accidents" ;)

When she brings up the "no Ticket" thing, I just tell her she's not trying HARD enough, lol.

Post a Reply