Got a Failing to obey signs traffic ticket?
Unluckygal

Hta 154 (1) A

by: Unluckygal on

Good Evening Everyone,

I recently received a ticket under the Highway Traffic Act 154 (1)a for crossing a solid white line. I was wondering if anyone knew what the rules were for crossing a solid white line and if you have any advice on how to fight this ticket?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

ticketcombat

by: ticketcombat on

There is no requirement to obey a solid white line on it's own. But the line becomes solid near intersections, Xwalks, railway crossings, etc. where you cannot change lanes for other reasons. It sounds like you made an unsafe lane change. You need to provide more details.

Fight Your Ticket!
Unluckygal

I was cited for failure to drive in a marked lane under the Highway Act 154 1(a). I was driving on the QEW and was coming up to my exit and noticed that the traffic was stopped. Therefore I merged onto the burloak exit (burlington) early crossing the white line. I did look and made sure it was safe before crossing. I noticed the police officer, and looked to make sure that it was safe and merged back into the other lane, as I know the rule about getting over in the other lane, when a police officer is on the right hand shoulder. Unfortunately, he pointed at me and signaled for me to pull over. He also pulled over the guy behind me. He advised that he was giving everyone ticket today for in proper lane changes.

As per section 151 (1) a it clearly states that:

"Where a highway has been divided into clearly marked lanes for traffic,

(a) a vehicle shall be driven as nearly as may be practicable entirely within a single lane and shall not be moved from the lane until the driver has first ascertained that the movement can be made with safety"

My point is that I did ensure that it was safe before moving over, therefore believe that is grounds to fight this ticket. Please let me know if you agree with me and please let me know if you require additional information.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

Unluckygal wrote: noticed that the traffic was stopped. Therefore I merged onto the burloak exit (burlington) early crossing the white line. I did look and made sure it was safe before crossing. .

Trying to get the right interpretation here... Does this mean you went outside of a marked lane and were driving on the paved shoulder prior to the actual marked lane for the ramp?

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Squishy

by: Squishy on

From the way I interpret it, she drove onto the paved shoulder before the start of the off-ramp, entered the off-ramp, noticed the officer, and merged back onto the highway for the "move over" law (which, by the way, does not apply unless emergency lights are flashing) - and then the officer waved her and another car over.

I think the officer may even have thought she was trying to skip ahead of traffic by passing on the off-ramp.

tdrive2

by: tdrive2 on

Squishy wrote:From the way I interpret it, she drove onto the paved shoulder before the start of the off-ramp, entered the off-ramp, noticed the officer, and merged back onto the highway for the "move over" law (which, by the way, does not apply unless emergency lights are flashing) - and then the officer waved her and another car over.

I think the officer may even have thought she was trying to skip ahead of traffic by passing on the off-ramp.

Yep squishy i would say the exact same thing as you. I have been at that exit aswell to.

She was probably heading east bound (traffic is terrible there now especially around Dorval with the construction.

I am assuming the traffic was really slow so she went on the paved shoulder (there fore crossing the white lane marking) to get off the highway earlier to save some time, the officer saw it and ticketed her.

If the officer was a real Jerk could have given her a 172 conviction. It includes something about trying to do something to advance through the ordinary flow of traffic!

tdrive2

by: tdrive2 on

Sorry just looked at intersection on google unlikely,

Were you entering the highway when this happened and got into the right lane to early while it was still solid?

Unluckygal

Good Morning All, thanks for your replies.

For clarification I was driving EAST on the QEW. I did not drive on the paved shoulder as I know that this is an infraction. However, I moved over onto the off ramp, before the lane for burloak actually started, ie: solid white line, instead of the dotted white lines.

The cops lights were on therefore I merged back into the left left when I deemed it was safe to do so, and that's when he pointed at me and told me to pull over.

Hope this clears it up. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Your comments are definitely appreciated. If someone has any similar stories that they would like to share that would be great.

Many thanks!!!

Unluckygal

Just to clarify, I was already on the 403 and burloak was my exit. I took the exit early, and by doing so crossed the white line.

Do you believe I should fight this?

Please advise!

Thanks.

Post a Reply

Return to “Failing to obey signs”