Squishy

Volunteer/'civilian' Positions Within Opp?

by: Squishy on

Are there any volunteer positions that exist within an OPP detachment? I've been trying to get a job as an auto shop tech for the last few months, but with that industry in the pits, I'm not having any luck. I've been thinking of volunteering for something with the downtown Orillia detachment or at General Headquarters - are there any positions that exist? Maybe typing notes or taking calls...I'd like to get to know the atmosphere and maybe make a few contacts that I can use as references.

I'd go down there and ask, but I figure going in with "I want to volunteer" is stronger than "Do you guys have volunteer positions?"

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

I have never heard of any volunteer type of positions you mention.

You might want to consider calling your local "crime stoppers" as they often look for volunteers.

You can also apply to your local "Victim Services" and help people through various traumatic times.

Another avenue is applying to the OPP Auxiliary program. Once an auxiliary you ride with regular members doing full duties. This will give you volunteer experience, plus let you see the day to day functions of a police officer. You might find it very interesting, but on the other hand mind think what the hell have I got into and know right then that you no longer want to be an officer. It can also help with an application later IF you have been a strong auxiliary (reliable, good with people) as members will probably want to be a reference for you.

I was with the Auxiliary program for 2 years prior to applying, a volunteer with the local snowmobile club and worked with minor hockey.

Good Luck!

HB

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Squishy

I thought the auxiliary applications took just as long as a regular constable application (i.e., a year or more) except you weren't required to go to OPC and didn't get a firearm. Am I mixing that up with the Cadet program?

hwybear

Posting Awards

Auxiliary applicants get almost the whole complete testing as regular during the "hiring phase". The interview is done locallly and not by a "recruiter". There also has to be a "local" auxiliary position open to apply. It is well worth the investment/time if you are successful. Auxiliaries then go for one week training in Orillia prior to being able to go on the road, this is very quick compared to way back when, we would do one day here, one day there of training, seemed like months that way, where the one week and that's it, aside from the yearly requals.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Squishy

So I would need to get PREP and first aid, but once past the initial interview, the background checks and psych evals would go a lot quicker than a regular application? The training in Orillia is no problem for me, as those buildings are just across the street from General Headquarters - a 15 minute walk from where I live.

Thanks Bear. I'll have to fast-track my cardio training, as I don't think I can pass PREP just yet. I haven't done much running at all since the beginning of high school.

hwybear

Posting Awards

If you happen to go to GoodLife Fitness...start taking thte Group Exercise Classes. It may seem not so male to go...but I have now completed 3 years of Body Attack, Body Step and now RPM came to the club last month. My cardio and strength is second to none.

My resting heart rate has gone from low 80's to low 50's. My high blood pressure is gone and is now a little lower than normal. I lost 15lbs overall weight and gained muscle to boot! Excellent programs and every day off I am there, even before night shifts I get a workout in.

This is great....now I can eat all the donuts I want :lol:

Seriously, I watch my diet too. Instead of chips, pop stuff, I go to water, and mixed nuts, dried fruit mixture.

Squishy

Wow, 50s. My resting heart rate is somewhere in the high 70s, but shoots up to 120 or so after just 500 m. I can just barely get out 1 km before running out of breath - not very good at all. The OPP website has some material that says I should aim for 2.7 km in 11 minutes to pass the PREP shuttle run. I say just hand out those long-range rifle tasers and eliminate running. :D

I don't belong to a fitness club, but I do have a treadmill and free weights at home. I'm also going to install a pull-up bar in the basement in front of the big screen TV. My physical strength isn't nearly as bad as my cardio - right now I can curl 40 lbs and bench press 200 lbs, and the last time I had access to a Smith machine I managed to squat a monster 680 lbs. Might have to work on grip strength for the PREP test, but I've been crushing tennis balls in my free time.

Diet is going to hold me back. I don't drink a lot of pop, but I'm known for my sandwich creations which always, always include a toxic amount of bacon. My last masterpiece had four eggs, eight strips of bacon, four breakfast sausages, half an onion (caramelised, mmm), sliced ham, cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, and maple syrup. :twisted:

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

Damn Squishy, your diet was worse than mine a couple of years ago! :shock:

The "big" small change that I made was adding blueberries to my diet. Seriously. In addition to being loaded with antioxidants, they also change the way your body stores glucose (helps shed fat) and some studies have shown that a diet with a healthy dose of blueberries helps improve memory and cognition by 5%-6%. Also started drinking V8. Body fat and blood pressure dropped with no other changes to my routine.

Instead of bacon, try chicken bacon (or I guess it's "chicken bacon style" or whatever). Much less fat/sodium/etc., tastes almost the same. (My wife got me to switch.) Also try adding in red peppers.

As for running... it's hard to get back into it, but start off by jogging for 5-10 min daily and then every week add 1-2 min to the time. Worked for me a few years ago. I usually only run about 20-30 min every other day, but now my resting heart rate is 60 BPM. Doesn't take much!

Squishy

Haha, well I only come up with a new sandwich every three months or so. My daily diet is much more regular with occasional spikes of insanity. Once in a while I get the urge to stuff myself with six pounds of honey garlic chicken wings, or try to once again tackle a 3-lb burger. I'm a slow eater, so I've never been able to finish that burger within their two-hour timeframe. I'll get that t-shirt someday.

Nothing else in my diet screams death, but I'll replace my snack strawberries with some blueberries. I do tend to overeat eggs, but they're just so cute and delicious. Oh, there was that four-month period where I ate nothing but McDonald's, but I actually lost weight during my McDiet. I took it much better than that documentary's vegan girlie-man. 8)

I hope getting back to running will be as easy for me. Now that I think about it, the last time I did any real track running was in grade 7. Grade 8 was more about calisthenics, and through high school I took weight training and auto shop instead of gym classes. Who would've thought gym would turn out to be a career requirement?

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Posting Awards

by: admin on

Radar Identified wrote:

The "big" small change that I made was adding blueberries to my diet. Seriously. In addition to being loaded with antioxidants, they also change the way your body stores glucose (helps shed fat) and some studies have shown that a diet with a healthy dose of blueberries helps improve memory and cognition by 5%-6%. Also started drinking V8. Body fat and blood pressure dropped with no other changes to my routine.

That's great! I read about that before too. Have you ever tried Flax Seeds?

hwybear

Posting Awards

Squishy wrote:I don't belong to a fitness club, but I do have a treadmill and free weights at home. I'm also going to install a pull-up bar in the basement in front of the big screen TV. My physical strength isn't nearly as bad as my cardio - right now I can curl 40 lbs and bench press 200 lbs, and the last time I had access to a Smith machine I managed to squat a monster 680 lbs. Might have to work on grip strength for the PREP test, but I've been crushing tennis balls in my free time.

:

I see lots of "monsters" at the gym......and super strong, but only 2% only do real cardio. So things would be bad if they got hold of you in the first 30 seconds, but after a minute the cardio would prevail......just have to look at UFC for all that, guys gas out with poor cardio, then get really "rocked".

Could do a mixed run that would get everything going at once.

(IE: Sprint from one hydro pole to another = 100m, drop and 15 pushups, sprint another 100m, 15 situps, run 500m, jumping jacks, 500m, 15 step ups (step up onto park bench) with each leg leading for 15, 100m sprint......end it with...100m of two foot jumps forward, followed by 100m of alternating lunges with a twist (left/right) )

Basically a mixed bag of tricks, no expensive equipment and will fully prepapre you for a PREP with the stopping, starting stuff.

Another good grip strength, is put a weight on a rope attached to a broom handle/baseball bat. Hold broom straight out with both hands and turn it tighten the rope, raise the weight, and once at top, reverse on the way down controlled. Stengthens grip and forearms.

Squishy

hwybear wrote:I see lots of "monsters" at the gym......and super strong, but only 2% only do real cardio. So things would be bad if they got hold of you in the first 30 seconds, but after a minute the cardio would prevail......just have to look at UFC for all that, guys gas out with poor cardio, then get really "rocked".

Hahaha, that used to be me. Back in high school I would hog all the heaviest plates in the room, but the most cardio I ever did was the lightest setting on the stationary bikes (good time killer and I could do homework in my head). No way could I ever chase anyone down or last more than ten minutes in a fight. Maybe that's why I never got into a fight during high school and just once in my life (which ended very quickly with the other guy in a headlock). Might have to pay someone to beat me up just to know what it feels like. Volunteers? :lol:

Thanks for the broom handle idea...I have to get rid of these girly wrists and forearms. The mixed run might have the neighbours arranging an exorcism for me, but I'll give it a try once I can do a 30-minute run on the treadmill. 15 sit-ups seem kind of low...is that whole routine just one set and I would repeat it several times? I can usually do 50-100 sit-ups depending on how tired I am.

Reflections

by: Reflections on

Might have to pay someone to beat me up just to know what it feels like. Volunteers? Laughing

Stop at the OPP headquarters with a dozen fresh donuts........ Hold them behind your back........ Hold back the crowd.... that should do........ :D :D :D

http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com
hwybear

Posting Awards

Squishy wrote: The mixed run might have the neighbours arranging an exorcism for me, but I'll give it a try once I can do a 30-minute run on the treadmill. 15 sit-ups seem kind of low...is that whole routine just one set and I would repeat it several times? I can usually do 50-100 sit-ups depending on how tired I am.

There is a paved path behind my house, so I use that, every park bench is a different excercise and I make it up as I go. Start wherever you want for # of reps at each "station", just remember next time out to improve on the previous by say 5 reps. Soon you will be up to high numbers and cardio "to boot" :)

15 reps on week one = 60 reps on week 10. Seems low, but it is a safe progression and give you a "goal" the following week to go for.

Another good one is tricep dips on the bench!

Running 30min on a teadmill can be a waste of time...unless you manipulate the run (which the outdoors will do on variety of terrain) Try 5 min walking, next 5min at 2 incline (3min jog, 2 min run), 5 min at 4 incline (3min jog, 2 min run), 5min at 6 incline (4 min jog, 1 min run).....slow down and walk at 6 incline, and then increase incline 1 for every minute.....your legs be burnin'.......reduce incline and walk for 5min cool down.

I have not touched a tread mill in almost 3yrs, I prefer the bootcamp style instructors yelling at me during my cardio workout :D

Post a Reply

Return to “Police Training and Education”