Stop Sign Questions

Failing to obey a stop sign - Highway Traffic Act section 136(1).
FiReSTaRT

Stop Sign Questions

Unread post by FiReSTaRT »

Let's say you're stuck behind a very indecisive person (a.k.a. a slow f-word) and they inched past the line and are waiting for the traffic to clear up for about 5 miles in both directions before making a right turn. So while you're waiting for the miracle to happen, can you just stop at the white line, wait for 3 seconds (more like 3 minutes) and go right after them or will you have to stop again for good measure?

On that note, at any random stop sign, do the wheels just have to stop turning or do you have to stop and wait for 3 seconds or is it just what the schools teach?

And here's one specifically targeted at Bear who is both in the business of enforcing the h.t.a. and a rider... Let's say I am leading another couple of bikes, in formation. I stop at the white line, the other riders stop behind me. Legally, can they proceed right after me or will they all have to individually stop before going through the stop? If they all have to stop at the white line individually, how tightly is it being enforced?

What kind of a man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
hwybear

Posting Awards

Unread post by hwybear »

IMHO if you have stopped at the required location...in this instance the stop line you have met the requirements and can proceed and do not need to stop where the dumbass in front of you has inched out 15ft. Every individual MV/MC would have to make a stop at the proper location.

One does not have to place the feet down when riding an MC to make a stop. Better riders can hold an MC stopped without the feet being on the ground.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
FiReSTaRT

Thanks Bear.

Stopping without putting the feet down isn't much of an issue for me or people I usually ride with (unless I lead a newbie ride). If we do it, we do it for appearances in case we know that a stop sign attracts a good amount of police attention. Even a misunderstanding can be costly.

In practice, in most cases we have the leader make sure that the cost is clear (it can involve waving other vehicles through) and then the whole group just goes after him. That eliminates the problem of cagers busting in the middle of the formation. Ofcourse the leader is also always on the lookout for your coworkers 8)

What kind of a man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
ticketcombat

Unread post by ticketcombat »

Just a couple of points I want to clarify. First there is no 3 second rule, that was something your driving instructor used to convince you to come to a complete stop.

Second, there are two elements to stopping. First come to a complete stop and second, proceed with caution. Just because you stopped does not give you right of way.

And finally, third, in a "convoy" every vehicle must stop at the line and proceed with caution. Yes it would be great to have our friends wave us through stop signs. But the friend won't get the ticket! You will.

Fight Your Ticket!
FiReSTaRT

The problem is that if the whole convoy doesn't go through as a single unit, 5/6 times some car/truck/van will get in the middle of the formation. Then we're risking speeding or stunting charges to to get the group back together. So either way, it's a no-win situation.

hwybear

Posting Awards

Unread post by hwybear »

ticketcombat wrote: First there is no 3 second rule

That's right....I have always been taught that it is the 5 second rule!!!!

oh wait, that is how long food can drop on the floor and be allowed to be picked up and eaten :lol:

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca