A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

ohtauser

Need Immediate Advice

by: ohtauser on

I'm posting this as I'm trying to help a friend who got themselves into trouble.

Pulled over by a cop who ran their plates to find that they were registered to a different car (same owner though). May have got a little mouthy with the cop after he pulled them over. Running the plates also pulled up a situation where my friend in a road rage incident side swiped another vehicle and kept driving (left the scene). From my understanding, they are insured but for the other vehicle, perfect driving record besides these two incidents. Ordered to go to court in the beginning of January. This is clearly the result of carelessness and arrogance but need a solution in order not to face all possible charges.

Any help or insight is much appreciated!

supadriva14

Posting Awards

by: supadriva14 on

What was your friend pulled over for initially and how long ago was the fail to remain when they did the side swipe. Did they get charged for that when they just got pulled over? Or have they already been charged prior?

ohtauser

supadriva14 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:09 pm

What was your friend pulled over for initially and how long ago was the fail to remain when they did the side swipe. Did they get charged for that when they just got pulled over? Or have they already been charged prior?

I believe the cop just came across him in town and ran the plates for fun. They haven’t been charged yet, just ordered for a court date I believe. And I would say around a month ago that the side swipe occurred.

ohtauser

I should note that he was pulled over for a speeding ticket in that same car and the cop never questioned his plates not belonging to the car he was driving. I retract what I said about a perfect driving record lol.

supadriva14

Posting Awards

Some cops may not notice or probably "rookies" and may not catch on but if an officer is chilling behind you they're 100% running those plates! Based on the info you have given (do correct me if I'm wrong) your friend is potentially facing charges of fail to remain & plates not authorized for vehicle/no insurance? I believe the court date is just a summons so not to worry too much on that.

ohtauser

supadriva14 wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:31 am

And I'm assuming the road rage incident happened with the previous car?

You are right about the charges he may potentially face. However, he does have insurance. And the vehicle from the road rage incident is the current one - so the one he was pulled over in.

supadriva14

Posting Awards

Just to rectify what you said earlier about the cop not noticing the plates when your friend was pulled over, are the 2 vehicles similar? Such as make or model? If so, that explains why the cop may not have noticed

supadriva14

Posting Awards

And when it comes to how you should deal with the MTO as I don't know the full story you need to clarify what happened with the previous vehicle the plates were originally registered to. As with the current car if it hits another object there should be some type of damage I assume. Or damage is just not even noticeable?

Post a Reply