jack1729

Ticketed For 49km/hr Over The 100 Km/hr Limit On 401

by: jack1729 on

Greetings!

Over the Civic long weekend, somewhere near Scarborough on the 401, I got a speeding ticket (Total Payable $359) of going 149 km/hr where the legal limit is 100km/hr. The lady cop told me that she clocked me at 152 km/hr but is giving me a break at 149. The cop has marked R on my ticket meaning reduced.

I have a clean record and hold a G license sine July 2012. I might be speeding little bit but honestly don't believe that I was going at 152 km/hr.

What do you recommend I should do in this case. Ideally, I would like no conviction and in worse case scenario , a reduced fine with lower demerit points. Is this even possible since I am marked at 149 and anything above 150 gets your car confiscated along with license suspension and a premium insurance hike.

My conundrum is that currently I only rent vehicles around 10 times per year and have never had my own car.Maybe in the future I might own a car but not sure when that will happen. If I delay paying this off now and go to trial, I will extend the validity of this conviction on my record in the future. 3 years will begin after the trial.

I had earlier requested a insurance quote for Honda Civic and it came for $175. Now with this conviction, approximately how much can I expect it to increase. God forbid, what happens if I get another ticket of 3 to 4 points in the next 3 years.

Should i go to trial ? Is it worth it or will it be just a waste of time.

Thank you. Appreciate it.

Zatota

Posting Awards

by: Zatota on

Points are irrelevant for insurance purposes. Insurance companies treat 49 km/h over the limit as a minor offence, just as if you'd only been 15 over the limit. If you're not planning to buy a car now, why delay the conviction on your record? You should probably want the effect to come off as soon as possible.

It's also not likely you'll get a better deal. You've already been spared having the car impounded and your licence suspended. It's a very good thing you didn't have a rental car impounded!

If your jurisdiction offers one, you can ask for a resolution with the prosecutor to see if he or she is in a good mood and offers you a better deal. But don't hold your breath.

Although I normally recommend requesting a trial and disclosure, in this situation, I'd be more inclined just to pay it and get it back off my record as soon as possible.

jack1729

by: jack1729 on

It seems "Early Resolution - Meet the Prosecutor" is my best bet. I will try to get the $360 fine reduced and bring it down to a 29km/hr conviction (3 demerit points). Am aware a conviction is a conviction but it will hopefully drop off before I own a car myself.

Post a Reply