shuotong

Speeding Ticket Charge Under Section 129 Instead Of 128

by: shuotong on

Hi all,

I received a speeding ticket that officer claimed he clocks me at 31km/h but he reduced the ticket to 15.

However, when I take my attention to the ticket, under the “Contrary to” part, it says “contrary to: The Highway Traffic Act” and “Sect:129”. But when I look at the section 129, it is only a metric conversion chart:

"Conversion of rate of speed set out in by-laws

129. Upon the maximum permitted rate of speed in kilometres per hour being marked on the highways or portions thereof affected, the speed limits established under a by-law passed under section 128 that are expressed as a rate of speed in miles per hour set out in Column 1 of the Table shall be deemed to be the rate of speed in kilometres per hour set out opposite thereto in Column 2 of the Table.”

Should I do nothing and go to appeal if JoP did not quash the ticket, or go to a trial and point out the error in this case? I searched on the form but my situation is very rare.

I had a parking ticket to be thrown out at hearing in City of TO, due to the similar reason, but it’s a completely different process, just a hearing officer and that’s it.

Thank you

Post a Reply