The Ontario Highway Traffic Act section 78.1(1) deals with Hand-held devices and distracted driving.
bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

Ali Salih wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:02 pm

I was given ticket this morning as talking on the phone when I was not. Officer insisted that I apologize for doing so, but I did not. What would be my options to have the ticket cancelled?

Your question is extremely broad.

For starters, I'm already starting to assume you believe the ticket was for talking on your phone, when it's not that simple. The charge is not limited to talking on your phone. You can be holding your phone receive the same ticket. The officer has no obligation to prove that you were in a conversation. So were you holding your phone at all? Was it mounted?

Your ticket is not going to get "cancelled". You can start by looking at the options available on your ticket. There will be one for having your case heard in a court room. You'll go to the court house and fill out a form letting them know your intentions. You'll wait until they send you your court date in the mail. From there, you can make a disclosure request. If you don't know how, you can check the municipalities website where you got the ticket. They'll have a form you can fill out.

Noobxcamper

by: Noobxcamper on

Holding or touching your phone in anyway while the key is in the ignition can and will most likely be considered distracted driving. Doesn't matter if you're at a red light or a stop sign. If you were touching or holding your phone while the key was in the ignition (changing music, GPS, etc still counts) then you will probably not get out of it.

Post a Reply