A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

cache4pat

New Member. Looking For Guidance

by: cache4pat on

I have purchased a 'RockyMounts Backstage', from Rack Attack in Mississauga. It is a hitch mounted, bike rack; and am trying to be proactive before taking it on the road.

I believe my SUV's lights are visible through the two mounted bikes; but the license is definately not. Adding additional trailer lights would be easy, to ensure the lighting topic is without question; but the Plate visibility topic requires some guidance. I have sent this request for guidance to the MTO and haven't even gotten an acknowledgement of my request for help. Where else might I find help? Here are my Questions ....

1) My 'RockyMounts' bike rack is NOT on a 'hitch ball', but is BOLTED to the Receiver. Does that make the bike rack part of the vehicle, allowing me to move the SUV's Plate to a lighted mount on the rear of the 'bolted on' bike Rack, when I am transporting bikes ? This is easy to manage, and seems proactive.

2) Or .... can I purchase a Trailer Plate, and mount that on a lighted plate holder, at the rear of the 'bolted on' bike rack ? Trailer lighting kits are easy to find.

3) Or .... is it possible to simply buy a 3rd duplicate Vehicle Plate, to mount on a lighted plate holder, at the rear of the 'bolted on' bike rack ?

argyll
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: argyll on

cache4pat wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 9:47 am

I have purchased a 'RockyMounts Backstage', from Rack Attack in Mississauga. It is a hitch mounted, bike rack; and am trying to be proactive before taking it on the road.

I believe my SUV's lights are visible through the two mounted bikes; but the license is definately not. Adding additional trailer lights would be easy, to ensure the lighting topic is without question; but the Plate visibility topic requires some guidance. I have sent this request for guidance to the MTO and haven't even gotten an acknowledgement of my request for help. Where else might I find help? Here are my Questions ....

1) My 'RockyMounts' bike rack is NOT on a 'hitch ball', but is BOLTED to the Receiver. Does that make the bike rack part of the vehicle, allowing me to move the SUV's Plate to a lighted mount on the rear of the 'bolted on' bike Rack, when I am transporting bikes ? This is easy to manage, and seems proactive.

2) Or .... can I purchase a Trailer Plate, and mount that on a lighted plate holder, at the rear of the 'bolted on' bike rack ? Trailer lighting kits are easy to find.

3) Or .... is it possible to simply buy a 3rd duplicate Vehicle Plate, to mount on a lighted plate holder, at the rear of the 'bolted on' bike rack ?

I'd go for option 1. Then your vehicle has visible lights and a lit unobstructed licence plate.

Former Ontario Police Officer. Advice will become less relevant as the time goes by !
DCamM

Posting Awards

by: DCamM on

Is a driver allowed to tow a "Device" without a plate, such as a wheeled cement mixer or large wheeled air compressor, etc. ?

As long as it isn't more than 1.5 meters past the rear of the vehicle, I understood it didn't require a red flag or even a license plate ??

***I am not a lawyer, I have no legal qualifications and my opinions could well be wrong***.
Post a Reply

Return to “General Talk”