A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

MeatballMaster

4 Way Intersection With 3 Stop Signs? (parking Lot)

by: MeatballMaster on

Hey guys I came across this insersection in a parking lot that has 3 stop signs but connects 4 ways. Is there a law regarding the right of way for people coming directly from the parking lot with no stop sign? I was about to proceed though the intersection from one of the stop signs and some dude coming from the way without a stop sign proceeds through without stopping. I was confused because under each stop sign it says it's an all way stop. Am I missing something or is this poorly designed?

jsherk
High Authority
High Authority

by: jsherk on

I believe there is charge for proceeding out of a driveway or parking lot onto a road withoug stopping. Sounds like a stop sign for the parking lot is missing, but even without the stop sign that person would probably still be considered at fault.

+++ This is not legal advice, only my opinion +++
Whenaxis

Posting Awards

by: Whenaxis on

Here's the specific section from the Highway Traffic Act:

"Right of way on entering highway from private road

139. (1) Every driver or street car operator entering a highway from a private road or driveway shall yield the right of way to all traffic approaching on the highway so closely that to enter would constitute an immediate hazard."

MeatballMaster

by: MeatballMaster on

whaddyaknow wrote:Was this by any chance at one of the Power Centre malls? They tend to have weird signage.

What I've seen is that there's a 4-way intersection in the mall, but the traffic entering the parking lot, i.e. coming in from the "highway" has no stop sign. Is that the case you're describing?

I would say it's different than those kind of intersections. I linked the street view of the intersection in my original post. Here's the link. (Link)

Whenaxis

Posting Awards

by: Whenaxis on

Ignore my previous post. The section of the Highway Traffic Act would not apply in this situation.

It just seems to be a poorly constructed "intersection" within a parking lot. The side with no stop sign is just a parking row, so it is implied that the drivers coming from that direction should yield, similar to how there is no stop sign at every other parking row. Obviously it causes confusion so there should be a stop sign on the other side, perhaps contact the manager or owner of this shopping complex.

Post a Reply