harry7171

Can I Still Get Charged By Opp?

by: harry7171 on

Its been a little over 9 months I had a horrific accident on the highway in Ontario. Luckily I survived in one piece. Just after the accident Officer told me he is gonna charge me and he will talk to me in the hospital but its been over a 9 months no one has contacted me. Officer only contacted me a week after the accident to get my insurance no. and never after that. The story that I told the officer on the scene of accident - I was trying to change the lane and someone honked at me, I remained in my lane but my car started skidding first to left than to right and went under transport truck. I did not know at that point there is any problem with my tire. Moreover, I was more worried my head cause the roof my car hit my head rather than telling what exactly happend at that point. Its been a little over 9 month now but I have not heard anything back from the OPP. I have not got any ticket. According to my insurance its an at fault accident.

No Body got hurt in the accident including me, Transport truck did not even noticed I am under it on the speed of 100 km/hr and it was not damaged. It was just my Subaru got ride off.

Is there any chance they still gonna charge me.?

Thanks!

harry7171

argyll wrote:He can still charge you criminally but that's almost certainly not going to happen. Looks like he changed his mind.

If he can still charge me, on what basis he is gonna do that, he did not give me any ticket or communicated to me or took my statement after the accident? and what could be the reason he changed his mind?

jsherk
High Authority
High Authority

by: jsherk on

He can charge you based on what he observed at the time he talked to you and any witnesses.

For a Provincial Offences charge (speeding, etc), they only have 6 months to charge you.

For a criminal charge though, I think they can come along and charge you years after if they really wanted to. But the question is, what criminal charge would they actually lay in this scenario? I can not think of one off the top of my head. Seeing as your scenario seems pretty normal as far as a vehicle accident goes, I would suggest that officer chose not to charge you and has probably long forgotten about it.

+++ This is not legal advice, only my opinion +++
harry7171

jsherk wrote:He can charge you based on what he observed at the time he talked to you and any witnesses.

For a Provincial Offences charge (speeding, etc), they only have 6 months to charge you.

For a criminal charge though, I think they can come along and charge you years after if they really wanted to. But the question is, what criminal charge would they actually lay in this scenario? I can not think of one off the top of my head. Seeing as your scenario seems pretty normal as far as a vehicle accident goes, I would suggest that officer chose not to charge you and has probably long forgotten about it.

Does it mean I can relax now?

Post a Reply