Failing To Obey Stop Sign + Amber Light + Failing To Signal

Failing to obey a stop sign - Highway Traffic Act section 136(1).
karokan

Failing To Obey Stop Sign + Amber Light + Failing To Signal

Unread post by karokan »

I probably got him on a bad day :-)

Anyway, was not speeding at all. But did a rolling stop at a stop sign. Then proceeded on amber and did not signal turn.

Im pretty sure the light was still amber when i turned left and i was not accelerating just normal driving (you always remember going thru a red light so whatever video evidence he has would show this) and i dont recall seeing any cars around me when i had to make a right turn a block later (but may have to look at his evidence). I know i did the rolling stop.

Any recommendations? They have an option early resolution - do i try this?

Or set a trial and then ask for disclosure. Do i then still have an option to negotiate a plea once i see his evidence .. when does this window open.

Any help much appreciated.

bend

Posting Awards

Unread post by bend »

karokan wrote:Im pretty sure the light was still amber when i turned left and i was not accelerating just normal driving (you always remember going thru a red light so whatever video evidence he has would show this) and i dont recall seeing any cars around me when i had to make a right turn a block later (but may have to look at his evidence). I know i did the rolling stop.

Amber means stop. If you can stop, you have to stop. Whether you beat the red is irrelevant.

You can book an early resolution meeting and MAYBE they'll drop one charge for a guilty plea on the others. If you're not satisfied, you can request a trial then and there. If not, you can request a trial now and they'll make you the same offer on your trial date.

Observer135

Posting Awards

Unread post by Observer135 »

If this was me, and it will NEVER be me, at least I hope the HELL not...

I would file the tickets and request trial, you can always call the prosecutor and ask for a ER meeting, if it works out, you take the deal and they will simply withdraw the other ticket(s) but at least you have started the clock on the proceedings. If you wait, then the time you waited and did not file the ticket is deducted from the overall time it took for you to go to trial, so the chances of 11(b) is slimmer.

Oh BTW, I would suggest next time keep an eye in your rear view mirror, it's not decorative ;)

Based on your story the officer was following you for some time and was noting everything you did wrong.

karokan

Unread post by karokan »

Observer135 wrote:If this was me, and it will NEVER be me, at least I hope the HELL not...

I would file the tickets and request trial, you can always call the prosecutor and ask for a ER meeting, if it works out, you take the deal and they will simply withdraw the other ticket(s) but at least you have started the clock on the proceedings. If you wait, then the time you waited and did not file the ticket is deducted from the overall time it took for you to go to trial, so the chances of 11(b) is slimmer.

Oh BTW, I would suggest next time keep an eye in your rear view mirror, it's not decorative ;)

Based on your story the officer was following you for some time and was noting everything you did wrong.

If i request trial, when i get the date, there will be a phone number to reach the prosecutor to ask for an ER? would the prosecutor not respond, you should have chose option #2?

Also for an ER, can i request disclosure of the evidence?

Thanks again for all the help!