Made A Left Turn While School Bus Had Flashing Hazards

sunsetdrive

Made A Left Turn While School Bus Had Flashing Hazards

Unread post by sunsetdrive »

So I was stopped waiting to make a left turn, I see a school bus in opposite traffic with hazard lights flashing, not red lights or stop arm. It was about two car lengths away so I made the left hand turn. Bus driver didn't honk or anything. It appeared the bus was slowing down and made the right turn into the street I entered as well. This was not in an intersection btw. Do I do anything illegal?

bend

Posting Awards

Unread post by bend »

sunsetdrive wrote:Do I do anything illegal?

No. Hazards are just hazards. Even if the lights were on and the sign swung open, you could make that maneuver anyways.

sunsetdrive

bend wrote:
sunsetdrive wrote:Do I do anything illegal?

No. Hazards are just hazards. Even if the lights were on and the sign swung open, you could make that maneuver anyways.

I feel I should mention since I forgot to include that the school bus was not stopped, but rather driving, slowly with the hazards blinking. If that at all should matter, or change anything. Also thank you for the reply.

bend

Posting Awards

Unread post by bend »

It doesn't change anything. If the bus hadn't yet stopped and you've already completed the stop, you have the right of way. You don't have to wait for the bus and at that point you're just impeding traffic.

sunsetdrive

There wasn't a stop sign for the school bus to stop at btw. I included a crude drawing of what I was trying to explain If I was being unclear before, my apologizes.

Hopefully the drawing makes it a bit clear.

bend

Posting Awards

Unread post by bend »

Sorry I had assumed this was at an intersection. You have to make the turn safely without being a danger to others. If you're behind the wheel, you should already be able to make that decision.

If others have to compensate for your turn, yes you can be charged.

sunsetdrive

yes i did make the turn safety, no one had to compensate. I was just wondering if the turn i made was okay when the school bus had flashing hazards going opposite of traffic.

argyll
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

Unread post by argyll »

Yes

Former Ontario Police Officer. Advice will become less relevant as the time goes by !
sunsetdrive

argyll wrote:Yes

I'm sorry, is the Yes towards my the original question? Are you saying it was illegal? Sorry, just a bit confused.