Hoangpham4696

Hitting Lamp Post And Fail To Report

by: Hoangpham4696 on

Yesterday, I made the stupidest mistake of my entire life. I was on the way back to my apartment after studying at school. It was around 8:30 pm. What happened is that I tried to follow the curve of the road, which is very icy because the city truck does not usually pour salt on the road ( there was a snow storm in the early morning that day), I was going 55-60 km/hr. The speed limit was 50km/h. My car started to slide and then I applied the hard brake which caused my car to spin and hit the lamp post. The lamp post fell to the ground. At that moment, I couldn't find my phone to call the police and there was a few people around watching me. Because I' m a new driver and haven't been involved in any accident, I was so scared and nervous. Therefore, I decided to drive me car to the nearby road and look for my phone to call my friends ( my parents live in Vietnam). My friends said i must go back to the scene. I did exactly what he told me but the cop caught me when i was on the way back to the scene. He give me careless ticket and fail to report ticket. There was no witness, no camera, no polices at the time. Should I go to the court and fight? If so, how much chances that I will win?

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

A conviction for failing to report an accident will make you all but uninsurable and a conviction for careless driving isnt much better. Do NOT simply plead guilty to the charges as they stand. While we often recommend a DIY self-representation approach on this forum, due to the seriousness of your charges Id strongly recommend you seek professional legal representation. Theres a lot of factors that come into play for both charges and the police may or may not have a strong case. Thats why professional legal representation would be advantageous in your situation. You need someone to thoroughly review the evidence who knows the relevant case law.

And when it comes to legal representation, take your time to speak with several paralegals/lawyers to see who will best represent you. Many will simply hammer out a quick and easy plea deal that you can do yourself for free. Youll want them to actually review the evidence against you and explain why they think you should or shouldnt take the matter to trial.

To get the process rolling along, plead not guilty and request a trial on both charges (don't worry, you can always change your plea down the road if an agreement is reached). You'll also want to request disclosure to see the actual police evidence. Any legal representative will need this disclosure to make an accurate assessment of your case, so having it ready will help speed the process along. Search through the forums if your new to the process and you'll find information regarding how to request disclosure. In your case, since there was an accident, at the very minimum you'll want:

1) A copy of the officer's notes

2) A copy of the full accident report

3) A copy of any witness statements (I know you said nobody saw the accident, but someone must have called in as you left the scene)

Good luck!

argyll
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: argyll on

You would need your friend to act as a witness to say that he advised you when you didn't know what was required and that you were on your way back when you were stopped. The officer should be able to confirm that. All of that may be enough for the justice to overlook the fact that you did leave in the first place.

Former Ontario Police Officer. Advice will become less relevant as the time goes by !
Ontarioracer91

by: Ontarioracer91 on

These are some pretty serious charges. You may want to talk to a legal professional before making a decision. If you don't want to wait until Monday to get a hold of someone, I know that my paralegal is open 7 days a week. Its mg legal services. I don't have the card around me, or else I would provide there number.

bobajob

Posting Awards

by: bobajob on

do you not have a certain amount of time to report an accident,

as long as no-one is injured,?

UK there is not sure about here

in other words you can drive off, as long as you do report it within 24 hours

txs

--------------------------------------------------------------
* NO you cant touch your phone
* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
* Impaired driving, you should be locked up UNDER the jail
UnluckyDuck

Posting Awards

by: UnluckyDuck on

bobajob wrote:do you not have a certain amount of time to report an accident,

as long as no-one is injured,?

UK there is not sure about here

in other words you can drive off, as long as you do report it within 24 hours

txs

If the lamp post stayed standing, you could go to a collision reporting centre. Once it obstructs traffic (i.e. cars/pedestrians) then you need to call 911 immediately.

Don't quote me on this. This is my opinion based on prior experiences.

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

There's no grace period, but it's possible under certain circumstances that you may not be able to report the accident within lets say 24 hours (e.g. you were injured in the accident)

HTA Section 201 wrote:201. Every person who, as a result of an accident or otherwise, operates or drives a vehicle or leads, rides or drives an animal upon a highway and thereby damages any shrub, tree, pole, light, sign, sod or other property on the highway or a fence bordering the highway shall forthwith report the damage to a police officer.

You have to report it immediately as soon as it's possible. If you're at the scene with a phone and it's possible for you to report it, then you have to do so.

Post a Reply