Failing to obey a stop sign - Highway Traffic Act section 136(1).
mariocipollini

Proceed Before Green

by: mariocipollini on

I was stopped on my bicycle and received an offence notice under 144 (18) for a Red Light, Proceed Before Green infraction. I understand that the set fine for this is $260.00, which after adding court costs of $5.00 and victims surcharge of 60.00 should result in a total payable of 325.00. However, the amount shown on the ticket under Set Fine is: 265. "illegible", and the amount under Total Payable is: 325. "illegible. It appears that the officer added court costs of $5 to the set fine amount of $260 and entered the total of those two into the Set Fine Field on the ticket, then added the $60 Surcharge to that to get the Total Payable.

I have two questions:

1) would the amount shown in the Set Fine field on the ticket constitute a Fatal Error?

2) would the illegible amounts shown in the Set Fine and Total Payable fields constitute a Fatal Error?

Also, I didn't provide the officer with a driver's licence. I used other id and gave him my address. The ticket has the N box checked under the Motor Vehicle Involved field. I'm wondering, if convicted, would my insurance company be notified or have the ability to find out about the conviction and thus treat it as an "Event"?

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback.

UnluckyDuck

Posting Awards

by: UnluckyDuck on

That Clearly looks like $265, which would make it a fatal error. You should ignore the ticket, and it should be quashed. Hopefully the Justice of the Peace will see the error and dismiss the ticket. If the JP messes up and you DO receive a notice that you were found guilty, then you have to file an appeal and you can get it thrown out that way.

Keep the ORIGINAL and do not mail it in and do not pay anything.

mariocipollini

by: mariocipollini on

Just wanted to update on my situation.

I did not respond to my certificate within 15 days. On examination of the certificate the JP missed the Set Fine Error, failed to quash the certificate, and convicted me. I filed an appeal. At my hearing of appeal, when I checked in, the Prosecutor acknowledged that the Certificate was not Complete and Regular on it's face due to the Set Fine error and advised that she would be requesting the judge to overturn the conviction. After about an hour's wait my case came up and the Judge agreed with her recommendation.

Thank you to all who have posted on this issue in various threads. I found a lot of great advice.

Post a Reply