anthony.singh

Is It Lawful For An Officer To Give You A Tckt Aftr The Fact

by: anthony.singh on

An OPP helicopter clocked my vehicle going 60 kilometres over the speed limit. The helicopter followed my vehicle to where it was parked and they claim they have footage from (1000 plus feet in the air) identifying that the person driving was me which I find hard to believe. A YRP officer then came and sat behind my car until a tow truck arrived and took my car away. Once I found out, I called YRP and a YRP officer came to my house and issued me a ticket. I don't recall saying I was driving (I don't think the police officer took any notes down at all during the convo), but I know that I did question how he knew it was me driving and that's when he told me OPP had helicopter footage. He then issued me a ticket contrary to the highway traffic act 172(2) race a motor vehicle.. I wanted to know if anyone knows if it is lawful to give me a ticket after the fact and if not what grounds do I have to request this is dismissed? The YRP didn't even seem like he wanted to give me the ticket, he didn't even take a statement from me.. "He didn't want anything incriminating to be said.", nor did he want to impound the vehicle but the sections states he must impound the vehicle. Also Is there a way to retrieve the cost of impounding my vehicle and reinstating my license. Thanks guys!

iFly55

Posting Awards

by: iFly55 on

Unfortunately you can not recover the costs of impounding your vehicle and license, even if you're found not-guilty at trial or have the charges withdrawn.

http://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90p3 ... te]Service

(3) The offence notice or summons shall be served personally upon the person charged within thirty days after the alleged offence occurred. R.S.O. 1990, c. P.33, s. 3 (3).[/quote]http://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90p3 ... Limitation

76. (1) A proceeding shall not be commenced after the expiration of any limitation period prescribed by or under any Act for the offence or, where no limitation period is prescribed, after six months after the date on which the offence was, or is alleged to have been, committed[/quote]

You can still receive a Part I ticket up to thirty days after the alleged offence; you can receive a Part III summons up to six months after.

From what you described, they appear to have enough evidence to lay the charge. The same officer that stopped your vehicle, did not come to your house to give you the ticket?

Choose the trial option and you can request disclosure, get their evidence: notes, heli-cam footage.

anthony.singh

iFly55 wrote:Unfortunately you can not recover the costs of impounding your vehicle and license, even if you're found not-guilty at trial or have the charges withdrawn.

http://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90p3 ... te]Service

(3) The offence notice or summons shall be served personally upon the person charged within thirty days after the alleged offence occurred. R.S.O. 1990, c. P.33, s. 3 (3).

http://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90p3 ... Limitation

76. (1) A proceeding shall not be commenced after the expiration of any limitation period prescribed by or under any Act for the offence or, where no limitation period is prescribed, after six months after the date on which the offence was, or is alleged to have been, committed[/quote]

You can still receive a Part I ticket up to thirty days after the alleged offence; you can receive a Part III summons up to six months after.

From what you described, they appear to have enough evidence to lay the charge. The same officer that stopped your vehicle, did not come to your house to give you the ticket?

Choose the trial option and you can request disclosure, get their evidence: notes, heli-cam footage.[/quote]

There was three officers involved from what was explained to me.

1. Officer 1 & 2 were OPP officers that were in the helicopter.

2. Officer 3 was the Officer that arrived about 20 minutes later after the car had been parked and was the same as the officer that came to my house.

The officer came into a gym near where the vehicle was parked and asked is there anyone with a duffle bag who is driving the red nissan coupe. (I later found out from one of the workers).. Once I found out the officer was towing my vehicle I called the police station asking why my vehicle was being towed, they asked for my address and number and said he would call me.. he appeared at my door about 10 minutes later.. He didn't have much of an answer for me when I asked him how he knew it was me driving, he didn't take a statement from me because he did not want me to say anything incriminating..

Do I have to wait till my summons date to request for my disclosure?

Would the helicopter footage have to a good shot of the drivers face to prove who it is otherwise there would be a reasonable doubt? Especially with the fact that there was numerous people with gym bags and such who went into the gym.

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

anthony.singh wrote:But how would the police officer know who was driving the vehicle?

Those are going to be two different issues. The officers believe they have enough evidence to charge you. Therefore, whether or not you leave you vehicle doesn't change whether or not a charge can be laid. They can, they will, and you will be convicted should there be enough evidence to do so.

Proving you weren't driving is another issue. That's something you'll have to deal with in court. You'll go over the evidence against you and start from there. Preferably, you'll do this with a professional as the penalty you're faced with isn't really something you want to joke around with. Note the fine and penalty varies and playing the "it wasn't me" game may backfire in your face.

anthony.singh

bend wrote:
anthony.singh wrote:But how would the police officer know who was driving the vehicle?

Those are going to be two different issues. The officers believe they have enough evidence to charge you. Therefore, whether or not you leave you vehicle doesn't change whether or not a charge can be laid. They can, they will, and you will be convicted should there be enough evidence to do so.

Proving you weren't driving is another issue. That's something you'll have to deal with in court. You'll go over the evidence against you and start from there. Preferably, you'll do this with a professional as the penalty you're faced with isn't really something you want to joke around with. Note the fine and penalty varies and playing the "it wasn't me" game may backfire in your face.

Yes, this isn't something I am taking lightly.

I am not sure of how much evidence the OPP really has as the YRP officer that came to my house seemed almost reluctant to give me the ticket and actually apologized. I will request the footage and evidence before saying anything...Can I request the disclosure prior to the summons, if so how do I do this? I was told that it would be the attorney general instead of the prosecutor due to the level of the offence(not sure if this effects who I send the disclosure request to). To my understanding I need to be very specific with what info I am requesting any advice on what to request would be much appreciated.

Thanks again!

ynotp

Posting Awards

by: ynotp on

If you were charged as a driver and not the owner then prosecutor must establish the identity of the driver beyond a reasonable doubt. If that doesn't happen then you cannot be convicted. Disclosure will reveal if a reasonable doubt to your identity exists. If you didn't admit to being the driver of the car and the footage doesn't show your face and there are no witnesses establishing your identity from the car to the gym the case is going to fall apart so long as you do not testify.

That being said, this is not a case that you should be unrepresented there is too much at stake.

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

Was this daytime or night? I'm going to assume daytime.

anthony.singh wrote:Can I request the disclosure prior to the summons, if so how do I do this? I was told that it would be the attorney general instead of the prosecutor due to the level of the offence(not sure if this effects who I send the disclosure request to). To my understanding I need to be very specific with what info I am requesting any advice on what to request would be much appreciated.

You still go to the Prosecutor's office at the courthouse to make the disclosure request. Yes, you can do this prior to the summons. Some places have "templates" for disclosure requests, others don't. I'm being lazy right now so instead of providing you with a link, maybe check in the Courts & Procedures section of this website for stuff on disclosure. What I'd suggest you ask for are:

- Officer's notes, from both the helicopter and the YRP;

- If a speed-measuring device was used, a copy of the relevant parts of the manual (I don't think one was used, I'll explain momentarily);

- Any audio recording from the OPP helicopter regarding you or your vehicle;

- Any video recording from the OPP helicopter that shows you or your vehicle;

- Any other audio or video evidence that the Prosecutor has regarding your vehicle or you; and

- Any other evidence or information the Prosecutor has and intends to use at trial.

What I think happened is the OPP chopper saw your vehicle pass over the painted markings on a 400-Series Highway (e.g. 400, 404) that they use for speed enforcement (they're a fixed distance apart) and a stopwatch was used to time you, as opposed to any specialized airborne device. If you weren't driving on any road with the markings painted on them, this is going to make things, uh, interesting...

Regardless, as the others have said, I'd recommend getting a paralegal or lawyer who specializes in traffic law cases. I wouldn't recommend fighting this one by yourself, in which case your representative will make the disclosure request for you.

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
anthony.singh

Does anyone have any Case Law on matters where the accused has been found non guilty when the accused has been given a speeding ticket after the fact. The accused was caught by speeding then the police totally lost sight of the driver for approximately 20 minutes then gave the accused a ticket. The only footage of the accused was from a traffic chopper in the air. Does anyone know if that footage will show an accurate picture of the accused?

Thank you!

bobajob

Posting Awards

by: bobajob on

I thought.. There are mileage markers painted on the highway at specified intervals and then the OPP uses a stopwatch to time how fast you go from one mileage marker to the next. He then looks at a table that converts time and distance into km/h and radios to a cruiser to pull you over. Both the officer in the airplane and the officer in the cruiser need to go to court to provide adequate evidence to convict you. Just to make sure there not telling porkies

Sounds like a pretty expensive way to catch speeders

Unless there looking at the 150+ folks?

so the chopper has the following equipment

1 x pair of eyes

1 x stop watch (or iphone)

anthony.singh wrote:Does anyone know the radar equipment used and the video camera used to record while in pursuit.

Thanks!

--------------------------------------------------------------
* NO you cant touch your phone
* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
* Impaired driving, you should be locked up UNDER the jail
anthony.singh

bobajob wrote:I thought.. There are mileage markers painted on the highway at specified intervals and then the OPP uses a stopwatch to time how fast you go from one mileage marker to the next. He then looks at a table that converts time and distance into km/h and radios to a cruiser to pull you over. Both the officer in the airplane and the officer in the cruiser need to go to court to provide adequate evidence to convict you. Just to make sure there not telling porkies

Sounds like a pretty expensive way to catch speeders

Unless there looking at the 150+ folks?

so the chopper has the following equipment

1 x pair of eyes

1 x stop watch (or iphone)

anthony.singh wrote:Does anyone know the radar equipment used and the video camera used to record while in pursuit.

Thanks!

I am sure that there is a video camera of some sort when they use the chopper. The Police officer stated there was footage identifying the person leaving the car. Its difficult to believe that a camera from 1000ft plus above has the capabilities to ID someone without any doubt so that's why I am asking what the model of camera do the OPP choppers use..

anthony.singh

Radar Identified wrote:Was this daytime or night? I'm going to assume daytime.

anthony.singh wrote:Can I request the disclosure prior to the summons, if so how do I do this? I was told that it would be the attorney general instead of the prosecutor due to the level of the offence(not sure if this effects who I send the disclosure request to). To my understanding I need to be very specific with what info I am requesting any advice on what to request would be much appreciated.

You still go to the Prosecutor's office at the courthouse to make the disclosure request. Yes, you can do this prior to the summons. Some places have "templates" for disclosure requests, others don't. I'm being lazy right now so instead of providing you with a link, maybe check in the Courts & Procedures section of this website for stuff on disclosure. What I'd suggest you ask for are:

- Officer's notes, from both the helicopter and the YRP;

- If a speed-measuring device was used, a copy of the relevant parts of the manual (I don't think one was used, I'll explain momentarily);

- Any audio recording from the OPP helicopter regarding you or your vehicle;

- Any video recording from the OPP helicopter that shows you or your vehicle;

- Any other audio or video evidence that the Prosecutor has regarding your vehicle or you; and

- Any other evidence or information the Prosecutor has and intends to use at trial.

What I think happened is the OPP chopper saw your vehicle pass over the painted markings on a 400-Series Highway (e.g. 400, 404) that they use for speed enforcement (they're a fixed distance apart) and a stopwatch was used to time you, as opposed to any specialized airborne device. If you weren't driving on any road with the markings painted on them, this is going to make things, uh, interesting...

Regardless, as the others have said, I'd recommend getting a paralegal or lawyer who specializes in traffic law cases. I wouldn't recommend fighting this one by yourself, in which case your representative will make the disclosure request for you.

Does anyone know what these markings look like? It is a new extension of highway on the 404..

Post a Reply