A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

MisterD

Representative?

by: MisterD on

I want to represent my wife in a trial over her speeding ticket. This is a minor offense. She doesn't speak English very well, nor have any concept of Canadian Law. I don't think we should have to hire a lawyer or paralegal to defend a $60 ticket.

According to Provincial Offences Act in Interpretation: " 'representative' means, in respect of a proceeding to which this Act applies, a person authorized under the Law Society Act to represent a person in that proceeding". The Law Society determines who can practice law and provided "legal services".

Would I really not be able to represent my wife for this charge? I mean the Prosecutor is not a lawyer, the Justice presiding the case is not a lawyer why do I have do be "authorized" by the Canadian Law Society?

I don't claim to have any knowledge of the law beyond having taken a couple of elementary law courses at University, being able to read up on how the proceedings work and being able to communicate effectively in English.

Thanks for any advice you can provide. Cheers.

MisterD

by: MisterD on

Update:

I found this in By-Law 4 of the Law Society of Upper Canada:

Acting for family

5.1. An individual,

i. whose profession or occupation is not and does not include the provision

of legal services or the practice of law,

ii. who provides the legal services only for and on behalf of a related person,

within the meaning of the Income Tax Act (Canada), and

iii. who does not expect and does not receive any compensation, including a

fee, gain or reward, direct or indirect, for the provision of the legal

services.

Anyone with some legal experience that can weigh in on this?

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

It shouldn't be an issue for you to represent her, you'll just have to show it's with her permission. Either she'll need to attend to verify that or you'll want some kind of signed note from your wife authorizing you to act on her behalf.

Memo1

by: Memo1 on

Stanton wrote:It shouldn't be an issue for you to represent her, you'll just have to show it's with her permission. Either she'll need to attend to verify that or you'll want some kind of signed note from your wife authorizing you to act on her behalf.

Stanton, could you please explain what representatives can do and what they cannot do?

Can they request disclosure or stay on their behalf or it must be signed by their defendants?

Can they go to the trial instead of their defendants or just with their defendants?

Can they plead guilty or request adjournments, stays, etc. during the trial if their defendants are not present?

Thanks.

Post a Reply

Return to “General Talk”