Failing to obey a stop sign - Highway Traffic Act section 136(1).
mintclover

Failure To Stop At Stop Sign - 2nd Offence

by: mintclover on

I stupidly waited until the last possible minute to do any research about this, so asking for disclosure is obviously not a possibility at this point, but I'm desperate.

I was pulled over for the first time ever for "failing to stop at a stop sign" in a residential area, just south of Steeles, in North York. I stupidly paid the fine as I was confused and had never been pulled over for anything. I was upset, but I felt that I didn't have enough evidence at the time to fight it, so I gave into the system.

8 months later, I was pulled over AGAIN, for the same thing at the SAME intersection by the SAME cop. He was sitting there waiting for me in the dark! I know for sure I stopped at the intersection because the first offence was enough to worry me. This time, I was pissed. I challenged the officer since he was insisting that I didn't stop at all (not even a 'you didn't come to a complete stop') and went through it. I was pretty much saying that I knew he was waiting for ANYONE to come to the intersection to pull over. It was 6am and dark, and i was the only car around...

Anyways, I'm going to fight this in court tomorrow and I need some advice. I was planning on bargaining with the crown to have my fine reduced and demerit points (hopefully) dropped. I'm starting to reconsider this and actually plea not guilty. My problem is, this is my 2nd offence for the same charge, however the officer who pulled me over kept threatening me over and over that it was 'caught on camera' so there's no use fighting it.

So, should I challenge his evidence? How likely would the cop show up with video footage from November? Or would it be best to plead guilty and go with the reduced charge?

Thanks in advance

bobajob

Posting Awards

by: bobajob on

hi there,

not sure on the rest of this, but just getting demerit points wont make any differance to your insurance, only the conviction matters and a conviction is a conviction regardless of the fine.

HTH

--------------------------------------------------------------
* NO you cant touch your phone
* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
* Impaired driving, you should be locked up UNDER the jail
mintclover

by: mintclover on

bobajob wrote:hi there,

not sure on the rest of this, but just getting demerit points wont make any differance to your insurance, only the conviction matters and a conviction is a conviction regardless of the fine.

HTH

Yes, I realize this now. Would challenging his video footage be a feasible option?

bobajob

Posting Awards

by: bobajob on

Stranger things have happened.

at the end of the day, you have 2 options

dont challange it, get a conviction.

challange it, and you always have a chance of something, errors, not turning up,

you still can get a conviction, but at least if you challange it, there is a slim chance, if you don't theres no chance.

depends if you have the time (money) also get some other advice, try some of the ticket fighters, apparently a place called REDLINE

are supposed to be pretty good.

Don't trust anything that a cop tells you, I've heard all kinds of nonsense

"It wont effect your insurance"

"Go to the prosecutor and get your points dropped"

search a thread on here, about how some women backed into a school bus TWICE and had some lame excuse; everyone said she haddnt a hope in hell

she came back saying both tickets had been thrown out, however...... didnt say how :) miscutsie or something like that

mintclover wrote:

HTH

Yes, I realize this now. Would challenging his video footage be a feasible option?

--------------------------------------------------------------
* NO you cant touch your phone
* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
* Impaired driving, you should be locked up UNDER the jail
hawaii

by: hawaii on

bobajob wrote:Stranger things have happened.

at the end of the day, you have 2 options

dont challange it, get a conviction.

challange it, and you always have a chance of something, errors, not turning up,

you still can get a conviction, but at least if you challange it, there is a slim chance, if you don't theres no chance.

depends if you have the time (money) also get some other advice, try some of the ticket fighters, apparently a place called REDLINE

are supposed to be pretty good.

Don't trust anything that a cop tells you, I've heard all kinds of nonsense

"It wont effect your insurance"

"Go to the prosecutor and get your points dropped"

search a thread on here, about how some women backed into a school bus TWICE and had some lame excuse; everyone said she haddnt a hope in hell

she came back saying both tickets had been thrown out, however...... didnt say how :) miscutsie or something like that

mintclover wrote:

HTH

You actually bought in to that one with the school bus?? :shock:

Post a Reply