afgh

First Ticket - 130km/h On 401 Near Cobourg

by: afgh on

Hi,

I am a fully licensed driver and got a speeding ticket on the 401 going 130km/h (unfortunately I got caught just at that moment). The OPP officer didn't give me a reduction on the spot.

The fine is $220.00 and from what I've read, 4 demerit points. I've also called my insurance company and my insurance will go up 5% (thankfully, my entire family and I have a clean driving record).

I don't really have an argument against the ticket but as a student I would like to reduce the "damage" it will cause on the money side of things. Reducing points would be nice although I'm not as focused on that since I normally drive carefully (except for speeding a bit on highways.. but the lesson is learned).

From all the reading I've done, it seems like my best choice is option 3 to postpone the payment and eventually hope for a plea bargain. Perhaps someone else may have other helpful suggestions. Also, the court office is a 3 hour drive away... so I would like to limit my number of trips there (maximum of 1 trip only if absolutely necessary).

Thanks a lot for your help.

holiday_mazda

by: holiday_mazda on

exactly in your shoes. I was one of the chumps nabbed on Friday :( 2.5 hr drive from hamilton to Napanee!

I mailed the notice of trial today, and will get disclosure- I'm thinking training records, manual, officer notes (particularly paying attention to if he tested AFTER tagging me with the laser). I saw a recent poster mentioned that a new 2013 case said the officer merely has to testify that he tested before and after, doesn't have to be in the notes??

if it all checks out, will just drive all the way to napanee and hope for a plea bargain. if you're able to delay the insurance hit by one year, might be able to save on the increase (although i read it could get retroactively increased??)

bobajob

Posting Awards

by: bobajob on

AFAIK from readin around, they can't retroactivly hike charges.

and points do not make any differance to your insurance, its only for the MTO

a conviction is a conviction, (or rather) it depends if its classified as a minor/major/serious.

With my ins co, any speed ticket under 50over is classified as a minor

so if you have 1km over or 49km over makes no differance and neither does the points.

HTH

As an asside, if you do get a conviction, what are your thoughts on telling the insurace co.

some ppl say not to say anything as they should run there own Drivers Abs. others say you need to tell them

I've sent my notice off (option 2) and taking it fomr there

--------------------------------------------------------------
* NO you cant touch your phone
* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
* Impaired driving, you should be locked up UNDER the jail
hawaii

by: hawaii on

afgh wrote:Hi,

I am a fully licensed driver and got a speeding ticket on the 401 going 130km/h (unfortunately I got caught just at that moment). The OPP officer didn't give me a reduction on the spot.

The fine is $220.00 and from what I've read, 4 demerit points. I've also called my insurance company and my insurance will go up 5% (thankfully, my entire family and I have a clean driving record).

I don't really have an argument against the ticket but as a student I would like to reduce the "damage" it will cause on the money side of things. Reducing points would be nice although I'm not as focused on that since I normally drive carefully (except for speeding a bit on highways.. but the lesson is learned).

From all the reading I've done, it seems like my best choice is option 3 to postpone the payment and eventually hope for a plea bargain. Perhaps someone else may have other helpful suggestions. Also, the court office is a 3 hour drive away... so I would like to limit my number of trips there (maximum of 1 trip only if absolutely necessary).

Thanks a lot for your help.

Never , ever call your insurance company to "inquire" or ask a question. The call you made, pleading guilty inessence, was a bad choice. As far as the 5 % increase... LOL... the owner of the car you were driving and youself will find that statement to be total bullshite. You were talking to the pond-scum of society ,they will concoct a great story on your next renewal. If you don't like what they have to say, too bad , because shopping around for a cheaper rate will simply not be an option to you. Exact same thing almost happened to me.

afgh

by: afgh on

bobajob wrote:As an asside, if you do get a conviction, what are your thoughts on telling the insurace co.

some ppl say not to say anything as they should run there own Drivers Abs. others say you need to tell them

I will probably just let them figure out themselves since there's no way this is falling through the cracks.

If I choose option 2, will I eventually have to show up at the office or is there another way to offer an explanation? Because unless I can book the appointment to be "on the way" to something else, I don't think it's worth the 3 hour drive down.

I'm also considering picking option 3 and waiting for the trial date, then just paying the fine a week before. At least that way I can buy some time and the offence won't show up on my record for a few months. Not sure if I will run into any complications doing that though..

hawaii wrote:

Never , ever call your insurance company to "inquire" or ask a question. The call you made, pleading guilty inessence, was a bad choice. As far as the 5 % increase... LOL... the owner of the car you were driving and youself will find that statement to be total bullshite. You were talking to the pond-scum of society ,they will concoct a great story on your next renewal. If you don't like what they have to say, too bad , because shopping around for a cheaper rate will simply not be an option to you. Exact same thing almost happened to me.

The call was anonymous so they shouldn't be able to identify me without doing extra detective work?

And the 5% already seems pretty bad since I've heard many other companies actually don't raise your premiums after your first non-major offence (again, my entire family has a clean driving record).

hawaii

by: hawaii on

afgh wrote:
bobajob wrote:As an asside, if you do get a conviction, what are your thoughts on telling the insurace co.

I will probably just let them figure out themselves since there's no way this is falling through the cracks.

If I choose option 2, will I eventually have to show up at the office or is there another way to offer an explanation? Because unless I can book the appointment to be "on the way" to something else, I don't think it's worth the 3 hour drive down.

I'm also considering picking option 3 and waiting for the trial date, then just paying the fine a week before. At least that way I can buy some time and the offence won't show up on my record for a few months. Not sure if I will run into any complications doing that though..

hawaii wrote:

The call was anonymous so they shouldn't be able to identify me without doing extra detective work?

And the 5% already seems pretty bad since I've heard many other companies actually don't raise your premiums after your first non-major offence (again, my entire family has a clean driving record).

Sorry , I assumed you identified yourself. There is no insurance company that exists that does not raise your rate for a moving violation. Again, that 5% increase is fiction. i dont mean to sound doom and gloom, but it doesnt sound like you have had many dealings with the Ontario insurance shitstem.

Post a Reply