EastYorkGirl

Failing To Remain

by: EastYorkGirl on

Hi

On Monday, i was in a Metro parking lot and backed into a parked car. I hit the drivers side door and left a pretty big dent. I pulled over, got out of my car, took a business card and left it under the right wiper. Then I went home... I was so freaked out that 20 minutes later I came back, but the car was gone. I've been waiting all week for someone to call me, but have heard nothing. This morning I got a call from a Police Officer who said that the other driver had taken his car to a collision centre, but that he had not got my information from the other driver - he had got it from a witness. It seems that the other driver somehow did not get my business card.

I have to go tomorrow to report to this officer. He didn't indicate that I would be charged, and I guess it's my word against the witness as to whether I left the info on the windscreen.

I do remember seeing a woman walking across the parking lot, watching what I was going to do after I hit the car, but she clearly saw me get out and walk over to the other vehicle and put the business card on.

I'm freaking out, i have heard that it's up to the discretion of the officer as to whether or not I will get charged.

hawaii

by: hawaii on

EastYorkGirl wrote:Hi

On Monday, i was in a Metro parking lot and backed into a parked car. I hit the drivers side door and left a pretty big dent. I pulled over, got out of my car, took a business card and left it under the right wiper. Then I went home... I was so freaked out that 20 minutes later I came back, but the car was gone. I've been waiting all week for someone to call me, but have heard nothing. This morning I got a call from a Police Officer who said that the other driver had taken his car to a collision centre, but that he had not got my information from the other driver - he had got it from a witness. It seems that the other driver somehow did not get my business card.

I have to go tomorrow to report to this officer. He didn't indicate that I would be charged, and I guess it's my word against the witness as to whether I left the info on the windscreen.

I do remember seeing a woman walking across the parking lot, watching what I was going to do after I hit the car, but she clearly saw me get out and walk over to the other vehicle and put the business card on.

I'm freaking out, i have heard that it's up to the discretion of the officer as to whether or not I will get charged.

I wouldn't worry too much. These places are under 24/7 video surveillance, if the cops need to, im sure they could see what happened.

EastYorkGirl

by: EastYorkGirl on

I went in to talk to the officer this morning. He took my story, pictures of my car and issued me with a failure to report ticket ($110). He said nothing about charging me with anything else, so can I assume this is the end of it?

trenchknife

by: trenchknife on

I can't speak for the officer, but I would presume that if they were going to charge you with anything else, they would have.

Do not take anything I say as legal advice. Only a lawyer can give legal advice. I am not a lawyer.
Post a Reply