When you see a no parking sign with an arrow to the left and right what do you think it means?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:13 am

Do not park anywhere to the left or right of this sign.
No votes
Do no park next to this sign on the right or left.
No votes
No parking on this side of the road.
No votes

Total votes: 0

Lancerowner

Parked Where Prohibited

by: Lancerowner on

Hello everyone,

I received a parking infraction notice for; "Parked where prohibited".

I have attached multiple pictures showing my situation which were taken at the scene of the "infraction" at the time I returned to my vehicle. I had just returned from visiting my dying cousin who had just lost her mother, (not that the city of St. Catharines cares or is their problem).

I was hoping someone could help me, looking at the pictures, I parked approximately 20m away from one of the no parking signs displaying arrows pointing left and right and approximately 35-40m away from the other no parking sign. I was under the impression these signs with the big "P" with a red circle and diagonal line throughout mean't no parking in this zone, also it can be accompanied by an arrow to the left, right, or both.

In this case it was both arrows. So my mentality was you cannot park next to that sign to the left or right.

However, on city streets especially side streets, you see many of these signs, however slightly further up the road you are able to park where it's not denied parking, then it will display more no parking signs.

In my case, my front and rear wheels were parallel to the shoulder and no more than (30cm) away from the shoulder, I was not within 60m of an intersection controlled by a traffic light, I was not within 15m of a dead end street, I even took into account that there was one of those water filling stations for those big trucks behind my car about 20m back so I gave them extra room to loop around.

A guy was parked back against the blocked off road in his company trash compactor, most likely the guy who complained about where I parked, City By-Law states you cannot park within 15m of a dead end OR blocked off roadway, maybe I should have called on him.

Anyways any further questions please ask, any help is much appreciated as I am highly considering fighting this! Thanks :D

Attachments
Parking Ticket.JPG
Parking Ticket.JPG (89.21 KiB) Viewed 2152 times
iFly55

Posting Awards

by: iFly55 on

@Lancerowner - Streetview of Burbank Dr http://goo.gl/maps/OA1LR

Burbank Dr from First Street Louth to the dead end is approximately ~200m. Within this distance there are seven no parking signs, making it abundantly clear that you can not park anywhere on that drive.

It's a stretch of road that's adjacent to a hospital, which is ripe for abuse. You should have paid for parking at the hospital, which would've been cheaper than the $24 ticket. http://www.niagarahealth.on.ca/en/patie ... [quote]The current rates are as follows:

$2.00 per ½ hour

$4.00 per 1 hour

$8 for up to 12 hours (no in/out privileges)

$16.00 Daily Pass (in/out privileges)

$40.00 per 1 week (7 days)

$80.00 per month (31 days, to be purchased at the St. Catharines Site)[/quote]If you genuinely don't have two nickels to scratch together, you can choose option 2 get the fine further reduced due to financial hardship.

Lancerowner

by: Lancerowner on

iFly55 wrote:@Lancerowner - Streetview of Burbank Dr http://goo.gl/maps/OA1LR

Burbank Dr from First Street Louth to the dead end is approximately ~200m. Within this distance there are seven no parking signs, making it abundantly clear that you can not park anywhere on that drive.

It's a stretch of road that's adjacent to a hospital, which is ripe for abuse. You should have paid for parking at the hospital, which would've been cheaper than the $24 ticket. http://www.niagarahealth.on.ca/en/patie ... [quote]The current rates are as follows:

$2.00 per ½ hour

$4.00 per 1 hour

$8 for up to 12 hours (no in/out privileges)

$16.00 Daily Pass (in/out privileges)

$40.00 per 1 week (7 days)

$80.00 per month (31 days, to be purchased at the St. Catharines Site)

If you genuinely don't have two nickels to scratch together, you can choose option 2 get the fine further reduced due to financial hardship.[/quote]

Unfortunately neither of you two understand I was clearly targeted, someone complained, also there was only 3 total signs on the side of the dead end I was parked at, 0.50 or $24 it doesn't matter what amount I was ticketed, I didn't deserve that ticket, if I could prove that either the semi truck that was parked at the dead end (which is a parking infraction) or the car that was parked in front of me with someone in it was there when this officer issued the ticket, I can have this ticket thrown out in court simply by asking why didn't you ticket these other two vehicles officer?

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

Lancerowner wrote:Unfortunately neither of you two understand I was clearly targeted, someone complained, also there was only 3 total signs on the side of the dead end I was parked at, 0.50 or $24 it doesn't matter what amount I was ticketed, I didn't deserve that ticket, if I could prove that either the semi truck that was parked at the dead end (which is a parking infraction) or the car that was parked in front of me with someone in it was there when this officer issued the ticket, I can have this ticket thrown out in court simply by asking why didn't you ticket these other two vehicles officer?

Your only defence is to check signage in the area and ensure it complies with the Regions bylaws (probably available online). Based on your description of the posted signage, I would guess it was more than sufficient. The fact that other illegally parked vehicles werent charged is completely irrelevant to your own charge in Court. The Justice of the Peace will only care about your vehicle and where it was parked.

Post a Reply