Disobey A Stop Sign/fail To Stop

Got a Failing to obey signs traffic ticket?
Shorestones

Disobey A Stop Sign/fail To Stop

Unread post by Shorestones »

I got ticketed for a 'rolling stop' in Richmond Hill/York Region (disobey stop sign/failed to stop, HTA 136 1a). I travel that stretch of the road quite often and almost always make a complete stop there, knowing it's a 'hot ticket spot' for those sorts of offenses, but probabilities got the better of me. It's my first offense, so what are my chances of getting the ticket to a reduced fine with no demerit points? From the conversation I had with the officer, it sounds as if he has no plans to show up for court in this instance (he was very professional, and just told me that my 'best bet' would be to go to court), but I do feel I deserve the ticket and don't mind a more lenient resolution, in this case....

bend

Posting Awards

Unread post by bend »

Officers don't get to pick and choose when they want to attend court. They will be there unless there is a valid circumstance that would prevent them from attending.

If your goal is to simply check if a reduced charge will be made available to you, you can request either an early resolution meeting or a trial. If there is an opportunity to further reduce your charge, it will be offered to you. You won't need to beg or go into a 10 minute prepared speech. They see hundreds of people like you every day. They will simply look at your charge and see if there is any wiggle room and you'll be on your way. The whole process is the equivalent of buying a bag of chips at the convenience store.

jagged

Unread post by jagged »

bend wrote:Officers don't get to pick and choose when they want to attend court. They will be there unless there is a valid circumstance that would prevent them from attending.

If your goal is to simply check if a reduced charge will be made available to you, you can request either an early resolution meeting or a trial. If there is an opportunity to further reduce your charge, it will be offered to you. You won't need to beg or go into a 10 minute prepared speech. They see hundreds of people like you every day. They will simply look at your charge and see if there is any wiggle room and you'll be on your way. The whole process is the equivalent of buying a bag of chips at the convenience store.

Recently I got a Disobey sign charge that I plead not guilty to on the ticket and sent it in. Today I received a letter with an appointment to meet with the Crown to discuss resolution. What charges could be offered by them that carry very small fines and no points that maybe I could suggest to them to get this resolved?