A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

tgp

Does Speeding 10 Km Over The Limit Affect My Record?

by: tgp on

Hi, I was pulled over for driving 70 km on a 60 km road. The officer gave me a $40 ticket for going 10 km over the limit. He told me there are no demerit points and it will not go on my driving record. I confirmed that there are no demerit points associated with it. I just wanted to know if what the officer said about there not being any record of this ticket on my driver's abstract is true. I have not been able to get a clear answer on that from any source. Thanks.

tom1331

Posting Awards

by: tom1331 on

Any conviction on your record could affect your insurance rates.

It all depends on how your insurance wants to treat that ticket.

Demerit points mean nothing to insurance companies..

Mto is who keeps track ofyour ppointsfor ssuspension purposes only.

To insurance companies, a conviction for speeding means you were speeding even if it's only 10km over

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

Bri1234 wrote:I had the same situation. Did 50 in a 40 zone which resulted in a $40 ticket, no demerits. Officer said that it will NOT go on the driver's abstract which is what the insurance company sees. Is that true?

It's zero demerit points, but it will be visible on your driving abstract. Whether or not your insurance provider uses it against you is up to them. Most providers don't care whether it's 10 or 29 over, they treat them pretty much the same. They aren't there calculating a rate for you based on each kilometre you went over and they don't care about demerit points. Points is a Ministry penalty system that doesn't concern them. Speeding is a liability no matter how low the charge. 50 over is another story.

Post a Reply