PdLoader

Getting Insurance Again

by: PdLoader on

Hi everyone,

I got my licence in 2003 and was insured as a second driver until 2008, when I bought my first car and became the first driver on my insurance policy. I had a clean driving record (no accident, ticket, incidents) from 2003 until 2010. In September 2010 I bought a second car and transfer the insurance to cover that and removed the first car from the insurance policy. During a weekend at the end of September I had to drive my first car (van) and I was pulled over and given summons for driving without insurance, failing to have the insurance card on me, and failing to have ownership of the car with me. Making the story short, I went to court and pleaded guilty and was fined $5k in April 28, 2011. Since I was a student and couldn't pay the fine all at once, I sold both cars and took care of the $5K until February 2012.

Now that you know the background, I had a question regarding getting insurance again. I'm now working full time and I'm thinking of getting a car. But I was wondering should I wait until May 1, 2014 (3 years after my conviction date) to get my car and insure it? or it wouldn't make much difference after that date compared to getting the car now and insuring it. Should I contact insurance companies and ask them, tell them my situation and see what they suggest? (I doubt they would be honest though!!!).....

The car is not a must yet, but it will be next summer since I'm planning on getting married next July. Would it be cheaper for my fiance to get a car and I become the second driver?

Any advice/suggestions regarding this is much appreciated.

Thanks,

forevergone

Posting Awards

by: forevergone on

I believe by pleading guilty to the conviction, it will make you seen as a 'high risk' driver and you will be on facility insurance. From an insurance point of view, I think even after 3 years, they will still put you on facility insurance. The only way to find out for sure is to contact the insurance company. Convictions/offenses stay on the MTO records/database for life, which insurance companies have access to.

http://www.ontariohighwaytrafficact.com/topic4208.html
daggx

Posting Awards

by: daggx on

I'm pretty sure that insurance companies only have access to the last three years of your driving record, anything older then that is restricted to police/government use only. Unfortunately driving without insurance is considered a major conviction, so for now you would be classified as high risk and forced to use facility insurance. If you wait until after the three year mark your chance of getting a reasonable rate is better.

Post a Reply