A speeding traffic ticket is subject to section 128 of the Highway Traffic Act.
bluecar

Reduced Ticket Already, Was On Cruise Control

by: bluecar on

I just got a speeding ticket for 15km/h over which was reduced from 23km/h over. It was 65 in a 50 zone which I knew very well, so to prevent myself from speeding, I always use cruise control to 55km/h. It was a speed trap that got me and the cop said I was going 73 and showed me his radar. There was a car passing me when I was signaled to pull over. Is there a possibility that the officer shot the radar gun wrong or that he just pulled me over because it is easier to do in the right lane?

I have no priors and don't want the ticket on my record, but I don't want to run the risk of getting 3 demerit points for the original charge. What should I do?

Thanks.

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

bluecar wrote:I just got a speeding ticket for 15km/h over which was reduced from 23km/h over. It was 65 in a 50 zone which I knew very well, so to prevent myself from speeding, I always use cruise control to 55km/h.

Were you going downhill?

bluecar wrote:There was a car passing me when I was signaled to pull over. Is there a possibility that the officer shot the radar gun wrong or that he just pulled me over because it is easier to do in the right lane?

Lidar beams don't spread around catching everything. They are pretty isolated at distances.

bluecar

by: bluecar on

It was a fairly flat road, I am fairly certain I wasn't speeding (only 55 in a 50 zone). My car is short and the car passing me was a BMW X3 SUV. There were plenty of cars going faster than me and passing me.

Should I just plead guilty then? I don't see any reason the judge would believe me over the competency of the radar operator.

downpat

by: downpat on

bluecar wrote:It was a fairly flat road, I am fairly certain I wasn't speeding (only 55 in a 50 zone). My car is short and the car passing me was a BMW X3 SUV. There were plenty of cars going faster than me and passing me.

Should I just plead guilty then? I don't see any reason the judge would believe me over the competency of the radar operator.

Read the "Cross-examination" section on this document - http://www.mowgli.ca/brain/beatticket.pdf. Should give you some good ideas to challenge the officer.

Post a Reply