A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

Mechanicjoe

Need Direction About Getting License Back

by: Mechanicjoe on

Good day,

I need some direction on how to go about getting my license back. I owe somewhere in the amount of 21 thousand dollars in unpaid fines. I was a G2 driver when I received my first suspension, my license has since expired. I am now a father of 2, and work in the trades as a mechanic. I need to get a driver's license but have no clue how to do it again. I have unpaid fines still, and need to know is there away to get the fines lowered? or work out something. A license is a must for me now

tdottopcop

by: tdottopcop on

Attend the court where you were convicted of the offences that netted you all those fines - apply for a payment program, fine payment extension, etc.... so that you can have you licence reinstated in the meantime by the ministry (you will have to pay a reinstatement fee as well, I believe it's $90).

No, I am not the chief of Toronto Police.
No, I do not work for Toronto Police...
... it is just a name folks :)
HPTO

by: HPTO on

You can get it back under certain circumstances without the fines being paid. Go tell your story why you didn't pay your fines. Hopefully you have made an effort to at least make payments as it shows you care.

How is it everyone else's fault YOU comitted an offence?
daggx

Posting Awards

by: daggx on

It is possible to enter into a payment plan to get your licence reinstated. You will have to make a down payment on the fines you owe and continue to make monthly payments there after. You will also have to pay a licence reinstatement fee which has unfortunately gone up to $150.00. Also since you had a G2 that has now expired you may have to start over with a G1 and work your way back up.

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

daggx wrote:Also since you had a G2 that has now expired you may have to start over with a G1 and work your way back up.

This is another good point. I believe if you try to renew an expired G2, you have a 3 year period where you have to start from G1, but can skip the mandatory wait periods. If it's been longer, you'll have to start the whole thing over like any other new driver. The earlier you get this whole process rolling, the better. You're going to have to wait around for a bit anyways.

tdottopcop

by: tdottopcop on

Mechanicjoe wrote:It can't be that simple.. What are the chances the courts will in fact reinstate my license?, I was always told I had to pay off all my fines first.

Maybe try my advice first before you disregard it.

No, I am not the chief of Toronto Police.
No, I do not work for Toronto Police...
... it is just a name folks :)
Mechanicjoe

by: Mechanicjoe on

I'm not disregarding your advice, I have tried and talked to different people at the court house all leading to a dead end. I even went as far as calling serviceontario, to my local MP. Everyone told me I had to pay my fines off in full, before my license can be reinstated. I never thought it was as simple as that, I appreciate all the posts on this topic. I had no clue how to go about getting my license back, as I said previous i'm an auto motive tech. so a license is a must for me, its hard to find employment without a license in my trade.

viper1

by: viper1 on

What you do is go to the court with a game plan to pay the fines.

You tell the clerk that you would like to speak to a J.P..

When you get in the room with the J.P. you explain how you will pay the fine.

(post dated cheques are good).

Then explain that you have brought an amount of cash to start it off.

Tell your story and wait for the answer.

Most likely it will be granted and if it is, all the extra fees will disappear.

Other option might be ask for time on weekends.

The J.P. just wants to resolve it and if you give them a reason to believe that

"it will be", they will grant it.

Cheers

Viper1

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
Post a Reply